How much to charge for a baby goat!

natalie312(9)May 31, 2009

Hey,

I was just wondering how much to charge for a baby male pygmy goat. They will be dehorned befor we sell them, and fixed. Im not sure what the father is but the mother is deffentially full breed. They look full breed but not fro sure. The mother is registrated.

Thank you,

~~Natalie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oberhasli1

I usually charge between $25.00 and $50.00 for a wether that has been dehorned and neutered.

Bonnie

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 11:29AM
oberhasli1

Natalie, I got to thinking about it and a caveat to my previous reply is what I charge for dairy goat wethers. I forgot that with pygmy's the wethers can be shown at shows whereas dairy goat wethers cannot. Apples and oranges, huh? I usually sell my wethers to someone for use as a pack/trail goat. I am sure you could ask more for your pygmy than I get for dairy wethers. Maybe you could find out through your county extension agent the name of a farm that also has pygmy's and see what they charge.

Bonnie

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 12:27PM
gardendawgie(5)

looks like $200 is reasonable.

Depends on where you live. Calif would be higher priced then northern Maine.

Here is a link that might be useful: for sale

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 7:07PM
grullablue(5)

I used to have pygmy goats, and have friends who used to breed and sell them, and they were between $60-80 for wethers. But I bought my first pair, a brother and sister pair, for $80. This is in WI. But I also, around here, sometimes see dairy goat wethers sell as cheaply as $10 a piece. So maybe we're cheaper here. But when we had goats, I would have expected about $60 to be reasonable for a pygmy wether.

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 4:18PM
msjay2u(7)

I would NEVER pay $200 for a whether. When I was in the market they were $50-60 here. I opted for the Nigerians, one polled one dehorned, $30 each.

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 10:20PM
brendasue(6)

Wow. It certainly depends where you are! Does start at $200-$400. Bucks $150-250, whethers 75-125. These prices are for purepreds, though, disease tested for the most part.

Salebarn goats go for $30-70, though you can almost guarantee something wrong with them, sometimes you can get lucky & find one that the owners just lost interest in and not have CAE, CLA, or Johnes.

Here though, we do not have year round pasture, oftentimes having to haul hay from quite a bit away. We're covered in snow/ice sometimes from Nov/Dec through Mar/April, depends, so the price to raise them is higher than some other areas. Plus, it's a bit more residential so that limits the breeders/choices.

Brendasue

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
Need help with a ground cover grass that is fast growing
I'm looking for some input on what kind of wild grass...
broguearcher
Tethering steers
Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone has done this...
mersiepoo
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
shihtzu4su
How cold is too cold for eggs to be viable?
My geese have been laying, I'm letting them hatch their...
saffron_parasol
First time hatching Duck eggs!!
Hello-- This is my first time hatching duck eggs. I...
christie71
Sponsored Products
Wilton Aluminum Lady Bug Cake Pan - 2105-3316
$15.99 | Hayneedle
Progress Lighting 4 In. 12-Volt New Construction Recessed Housing, Air Tight, IC
Home Depot
WerkMaster Sanders SCARAB Wood Floor Sander 001-0084-00
Home Depot
Burgundy 'Take Me Away' Wall Quotes™ Decal
$18.99 | zulily
Landmann 34 in. Gas Easy Access 2 Drawer Vertical Smoker - 3495GLA
$234.98 | Hayneedle
Summit All-Weather Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Montana Woodworks Homestead 2 Drawer Nightstand Stained and Lacquered
Beyond Stores
Awesome Blossom� Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Infants
$335.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™