Coupla Goat Questions

msjay2u(7)May 21, 2008

1- has anyne used food grade DE to deworm goats and if yes did it work or did you have to supplement with something? How much DE do you use?

2- I am getting 2 goats. I am told they are Pygmies but looking at the ears I doubt it. Here is a picture of the kids:

note the floppy ears

here is the mother. she has all the markings of a Pygmy: helicopter ears, white muzzle short hair

she does not know what the father is. What are your thoughts on the breed? Could these kids be Kinders?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oberhasli1

Could be Nigerian Dwarf crosses.

Bookmark   May 25, 2008 at 12:54AM
msjay2u(7)

That is what I was thinking a Pygmy and Nigerian cross which is what they call a Kinder. I just hope these kids don't grow up to be giants

Bookmark   May 25, 2008 at 11:30AM
beeliz(2)

maybe nubian crossed with pygmy??

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 4:13PM
msjay2u(7)

she said today Boar and Pygmy. I wonder what they will look like big??? Anyone have this combo goat out there??

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 9:42PM
nubiansrus

As I read through I was thinking boer/pygmy. We have a Nubian pygmy and she doesnt look anything like those.

Ive heard very good things about DE with horses and goats and plan to get some soon. A good friend or ours has used it for years. Just make sure they give you food grade, and not accidently not do it.

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 11:27PM
msjay2u(7)

Your pygmy does not look like which? The babies or the mother? Well the mother is definately a pygmy. The babies look pygmy in the face but the ears throw you off. But she said the father is Boer. One kid has a little white around the eyes and muzzle, white on the forehead, darker dorsal and darker boots. Their hair is kinda Pygmy type. From what I see they have all the characteristics of the Pygmy except the ears. It is kind of weird to me but they are cute. I am wondering what the mix looks like grown. Just a mutt probably.

I do have the food grade DE and it was very hard to find. I tried mixing a half teaspoon in their food and it made them sneeze and ther refused to eat it. Finally after 2 days they lightly ate some but they definately do not like it. I spread some on the ground under the hay and I think I noticed no flies. I did just clean the pen so I guess I will wait to see what happens after a few days.

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 7:09AM
More Discussions
omg The Wind Last Nite
Its still blowing here in Pa.It howled,I have a metal...
bulldinkie
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™