pygmy goat

goatgirl-12May 31, 2010

We had a baby doe goat (aprox 4 wks old) that was doing great. Had been outside with us all day playing, at 6pm ate 4ounces (typical) daughter put her in her little pen and less than a hour my son found her laying, couldn't get up, almost seizing. Wanting help in what could have happened, 12 yr old devistated as this was her baby. Called several vets couldn't get a call back and she didn't make it. Please give us ideas of what could have caused this and what may have happened,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

What was her feeding schedule?

At 4 weeks they are nibbling things ... what could she have nibbled on, and is it toxic to goats?

    Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 12:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goatgirl-12

She would eat aprox 16ounces dailey, usually fed 3X a day. I guess she could have nibbled on something but I have no idea what. SHe and 3 other older goats were out with the family almost the whole day. We were raking the yard. Everyone else seems fine and whatever it was hit her very fast. Is there a certain type of plant etc that would be toxic. She hadn't acted sick at all before this.

    Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 12:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendasue(6)

Sounds like poisoning of some sort, maybe a snake bite? Do you have poisonous snakes?

Rhododendron, azalea, wilted cherry leaves, poisonous mushrooms, milkweed, to name a few toxic plants. Cornell Univiersity has a good toxic plant list, I think the Univ. in PA has one, too.

Sorry to hear about the little one. I would familiarize my self with the plants & reptiles in your area so you can either remove the plant or keep the animals away.

We keep on hand activated charcoal (for poisonous plants ingestion), and antitoxin for general toxitity. If we were to see a goat acting like they had a toxic poisoning, we would administer one or both, depending on the symptoms. This might (or might not) buy us some time to get some professional help in a situation like this, maybe save a life.

Again I'm sorry for your loss.

Brendasue

    Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 6:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

I am very sorry that you lost your pet.

This is a very hard fact about farm animals. They are often not worth ( their monetary value, not emotional value)the cost of a vet visit and so vets will not treat an animal when they know that odds are that the owner will not pay.

A vet visit with some minimal treatment and some blood work can quickly add up to hundreds of dollars. It doesn't take much for a vet bill to add up to thousands of dollars.

Unless you are a regular customer, and the vet knows that you will pay a $500 vet bill, even if the goat dies, you are very unlikely to find a vet to treat a pet goat.

I was in my vets office when some people were in with a sick goat and their bill was over $1500. They paid. Would you? Does your regular vet know that you will? I suspect that you don't have a regular vet, since you were calling around trying to find one.

You would have to have a farm or horse vet. A dog and cat vet might not know all that much about goats.

If you want to have livestock, you need to learn how to treat the livestock. Get a couple of good books about goats and read up. Your local library has some or can get you some if you don't want to buy.

When you say that the children played with the goat all day, was that very gentle handling or did it involve chasing, carrying, maybe wrestling. I don't want to make accusations, but baby goats are not sturdy and the wrong kind of handling, over-heating, dehydration, or stress can kill them.

For a couple hundred dollars you an get a necropsy at your state's veterinary college, if you really want to know why the goat died.

    Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 7:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
littledog(z7 OK)

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's goat. It's so disappointing to loose one when they are apparently doing well, and not know why. (Even more so when it's your child's special pet)

Try reading some of the articles at Onion Creek Ranch; the author has done a great job in describing symptoms and treatments and you might be able to figure out what happened. (and most importantly, how to prevent it from happening again)

Here is a link that might be useful: Health and management articles at Onion Creek Ranch Website

    Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 3:45PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
Giardia from ducks and chickens?
I really hope this topic hasn't been posted numerous...
chickenmama1
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
Turkeys: how do you know if you have a female turkey?
We have one "pet" turkey, most likely a Broad...
undercover_owl
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™