Grit question for a friend

sundae(NW Iowa)June 22, 2008

There are 25 brahma chicks right now and she is moveing them around the yard in a mobile coop. Question is this, her gran used to let some of her hens graze in the yard and she said if they graze they don't need grit in their feed. Her mom says this is wrong that she must have misunderstood. Of course Gran's not around to settle this disagreement, and she doesn't want to do it wrong. If anyone knows let me know and I will pass this info along. Oh and if they do need grit then when?

S.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mersiepoo(6)

If they have a gravel driveway to peck at, or a sand pit with lots of small rocks, then they should be okay, but I sprinkle chick grit for my little baby chicks to make sure they definitely get it. Older birds usually find lots of rocks, but we have a lot of rocks and gravel around here. Recently I have butchered a few birds, and their gizzards were full of small rocks from where they were eating the rocks from the sand we have near the garden.

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 4:49PM
msjay2u(7)

ewwwwl and people eat gizzards?

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 6:34PM
ginni77(z 5)

Even when my chicks get out in their tractor everyday, I make sure they have grit available to them. That way there's no question as to whether they need it or not. I use playground sand (you can buy it at Lowe's, Home Depot, and many feed stores for a couple bucks). I also use the sand mixed with DE to make a "hole" for them to take a dust bath in.

P.S. Sundae, NW Iowa, eh? We have a cabin on Lake Okoboji and I lived in Algona years ago. Love it up there in that area!

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 10:08AM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

My free range flock never needs grit, they get it from the dirt in the yard. Perhaps your mom is thinking of oyster shell, which provides calcium.

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 4:21AM
More Discussions
raising baby ducks to release in private pond
We have a 2 acre pond next to a small cabin on 130...
anne2006
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
old water well question...
There is an old well on our farm that used to be run...
lesli8
Giving bones to a dog
We got a couple of large soup bones (no meat on them...
carmen_grower_2007
Sponsored Products
Spot on Square | Hiya Toddler Bed, Walnut
YLiving.com
Area Rug: Little Tikes Animal Kingdom Multi Colored 39" Round
$49.97 | Home Depot
Defiant Flood Lights 270-Degree Outdoor White Motion Security Light DF-5718-WH-D
$49.97 | Home Depot
Flatware Caddy
$195.00 | Horchow
Recife Zebra Black Cocoa Rug (5'10 x 9'2)
Overstock.com
Taupe Jesse Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Zen Bamboo LED Two Light Wall Sconce
$399.00 | Bellacor
AICO Furniture - Lavelle Blanc Dresser & Mirror - 54050-60-04
Great Furniture Deal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™