what to do with tree tops timber cutters left behind?

kumquatladyJune 27, 2011

I recently have timber guys come and cut hard wood trees in my property and they left the piles of tree tops. I think it will be very expensive to have someone come houl it away or chip it for mulch. Does anyone has any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
exmar

Might be a "stretch," but advertise "free firewood-you cut." A lot of the tree tops and limbs left after lumbering are great for firewood, particuarly since they're already on the ground which appeals to amateur lumberjacks....:-) You'll be left with a lot smaller mess to deal with.

Good luck,

Ev

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 12:48PM
pamghatten(wny5)

I agree with Ev ... I know plenty of people in my area that would gladly take it off your hands. Firewood is getting more and more expensive, like everything else.

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 1:24PM
kumquatlady

Thanks guys. That is great idea. I placed an ad on cragslist and hope many will show up take it as much as they want.

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 3:10PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Make sure to make clear to people that cutting/hauling the wood is at their own risk...maybe have them sign a waiver so if they hurt themselves on your property they can't come after your property insurance.

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 10:44PM
lazy_gardens

Also - many of the branches can be used by woodworkers to make small things like pens.

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 2:14PM
Sherwood Botsford(3a)

I doubt you will get rid of enough brush that way. Next time you sign a timber contract specify that no debris can be left that stands more than 4" off the ground.

If you have a tractor, you may be able to rent a 3ph chipper to attach to the PTO. This is still a lot of work.

If you know your trees, and chip into a trailer, you may be able to bag and sell the chips for smokehouse and barbarque.

Another possibility is just wade in with a chainsaw, and cut it into chunks that will lie flat on the ground. They will be half decomposed in a couple years.

Currently I'm putting small wood and brush into a creek, alternating with dirt. DIY beaver dam.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 2:46PM
suz1023

resurrecting this old thread as we are piling ours on top of a row of stumps. the plan is to create habitat by providing hiding spaces and plenty of decomposing wood which attracts bugs.
i'll add a few scoops of dirt and plant a wildflower mix designed to feed pollinators, so it sould be very nice as it breaks down.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 7:16PM
rockguy(7a)

Brush piles are great places for wildlife of the smaller kinds. As a kid we always piled the brush then check out the piles after the first snowfall, always a few rabbit tracks going in or out.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 7:59AM
dreamgarden(z6)

"Next time you sign a timber contract specify that no debris can be left that stands more than 4" off the ground."

Excellent advice. So is the comment about having people sign a waiver so if they hurt themselves on your property they can't come after your property insurance.

We had to have an Ash tree taken down because of borer bugs. We wouldn't not have wanted them to leave any of this behind to infect the others.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
looking for farm software
Hi folks, new here. Well kinda, it's been years anyway. Looking...
arkygirl
Ivermectin for doggies
First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control...
zensojourner
Giardia from ducks and chickens?
I really hope this topic hasn't been posted numerous...
chickenmama1
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™