mollasses in chicken water

lil_chick_ladyJune 7, 2007

i have been reading some posts that mention putting mollasses into the chicken water. should i be doing this and if so what is the benifits of doing so.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patrick_nh(z4/5 NH)

No. There may be some very minor benefits such as additional minerals or energy (not needed), but they'll be getting that if you're feeding a commercial feed anyway.

The drawbacks are quick bacteria build up, especially in warm weather, attraction of flys, and chickens just don't need that much excess sugar. It's a waste of time and money.

Bookmark   June 7, 2007 at 11:31AM
lil_chick_lady

thank you for the info, we find a combo of nutrena layer crumbles and wild game feed, we also haev peacocks.

Bookmark   June 7, 2007 at 12:19PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

There is a great page by MSU on various poultry solutions here:

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

The molasses basically is used as a laxative for birds that have been exposed to botulism toxins, to flush their digestive tract. As with any home treatment, some people swear by it, some don't. If you have birds that have suffered an outbreak of botulism and are dead if you do nothing, I think it may fall under the 'can't hurt' category.

Are you maybe thinking of the benefits of putting ACV (apple cider vinegar) into chickens' drinking water...?

By the way, I'm jealous of your peacocks. :( I want peas!

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   June 7, 2007 at 12:57PM
carmen_grower_2007(4/5)

We have always used a mixture of molasses and apple cider vinegar in our chicken's water and have never had a sick chicken. Yes, anecdotal, but molasses has tons of vitamins and minerals and AVC is also a wonderful additive. With the little chicks, we use it all the time until they get to be about 3 months old.

We always have a waterer with it available after that and just plain water in the others. In the winter, they seem to drink more of the doctored water and in the summer, more plain water.

Recipe for a concentrate that doesn't need refrig. and lasts forever:

Microwave in a 2 C. measuring cup, 12 oz. ACV for 2 minutes. Add molasses to make 2 cups (1/2 C.) Use 1/4 C. of this mixture to one gallon of water.

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 9:25AM
More Discussions
Need Spark Plug Wire
I have an old Stihl chansaw (041AV) that my dad bought...
Denn66breck
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
propane heat vs. electric heat
We live in South Dakotan and have heated our home with...
wildhares
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™