6 yr old geese still laying

laturcotte1June 7, 2012

I have two 6 year old Roman Tufted geese (no gander) who are still laying eggs 3 times a year. Is there an age they stop?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mswiggi(5)

I'm no expert on geese, but I think they will keep laying as long as they live. With that being said the amount they lay will decrease.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 6:35PM
trianglejohn

Somewhere in my home library I have a small book on Geese and it states that a lot of common barnyard fowl are amazingly long lived. I don't know how accurate it is (I don't even know where the book is now!) but I remember a story about a goose being trampled and killed by a horse while she was sitting on a nest of eggs that all eventually hatched in an incubator and that bird was over a hundred years old!!!! (I think it said she was like 110!) The authors stance was that there are few accurate records for farm stock and that a lot of ducks and geese are kept in flocks and no one knows how old they are.

I've seen some old geese in my life and they really showed their age after 12 years. I don't see how they could make it past 30.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 4:57PM
brendasue(6)

20-25 is a decent age for a goose. 30 is pushing it but not unheard of. The ones that make it to adulthood quickly find out that ponds are their best protection from predators.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
suyoder
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
Why Does A Rooster Crow So Much?
What are they crowing About?He has his women.I was...
bulldinkie
propane tank
Is it better to buy or rent a large propane tank--for...
kokosnood
omg The Wind Last Nite
Its still blowing here in Pa.It howled,I have a metal...
bulldinkie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™