non laying hens

marymacJune 17, 2009

i just butchered my first hen. I'm thining out my flock to make room for some younger chickens, so I started with the one I was pretty sure wasn't laying any more, the one I thought was too old. Well when I was cleaning her up , i found she had plenty of eggs still inside of her, so why was she not layin? She had a huge amount of fat on her body. Could this actually stop her laying? I still have about 5 more to go, but how can I know if they are non layers? I get 3 eggs at most from 6 hens a day, and that is on a good day. I'm not sure what age they are , probably 3 years old. Has any one else butchered old hens, and still found eggs inside them? Does this mean they are still laying?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marlingardener

Hens that are overweight don't lay well, as well as older hens. Many people replenish their flock yearly so they will have young, laying hens.
My one year old Austrolorp hens started to lay fewer eggs, and following the advice offered by Velvet Sparrow, I cut back on their food a bit. Sure enough, within two weeks I was getting 5 or 6 eggs a day from 7 hens. I think Slo-poke is holding out on us!

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
Ivermectin for doggies
First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control...
zensojourner
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
suyoder
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
omg The Wind Last Nite
Its still blowing here in Pa.It howled,I have a metal...
bulldinkie
Rat proof chicken feeder
Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the...
johnmac09
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™