Ear mites in dogs

rebekah23June 21, 2011

Hi, this is my first post! I have been battling ear mites in my 4 dogs for the past few weeks. It seems like one or two of the dogs will start to clear up, but then I guess they are reinfecting each other. It is exhausting cleaning then treating all 8 ears! The medicine I am using is called Excel Ear Mite Remedy (active ingredients: Pyrethrins 0.06%, Piperonyl Butoxide, Technical 0.60%) and I am treating every other day. I am cleaning with organic apple cider vinegar (I read ACV could actually be used to get rid of ear mites, so I tried that first but it didn't work).

I hate to take them to the vet for this, but it may be getting to that point because I can't seem to get their ears clear. Do any of you have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Rebekah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pamghatten(wny5)

Sorry, I can't help ... but you might want to ask the people on the Pets forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people and a vet or 2 that answer questions there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pets Forum

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 12:41PM
RodneyJS

I've heard food-grade diatomaceous earth kills bugs on pets. You may want to browse online about DE and pets

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 8:48PM
curdog007

Try 50/50 alcohol/ H2O2. Give a good squirt in the ear and massage to get it all the way down. They will try shaking their ears off.

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 8:47PM
akaj9(9 Central Florida)

I mixed alcohol, vinegar and ummm...some monistat...as my friend recently took hers to the vet for ear mites and a yeast infection was in there too....I have a lab...she hated it...but after a few doses she doesn't seem to be having any troubly. I just shook it all up in a baby bottle and administered it that way...I can't say it's the right thing to do...just that it worked for us... Years back I took a lab puppy in, and she too had a yeast infection...so it seemed practical to use a bit of the monistat to me :)

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 7:47PM
Zena3546(zone 8)

your vet might sell you a big bottle of mitaclear for all of them if your on good terms with the vet. meaning some vets want you to bring in a pet for anything they can get you in for. not my kind of vet i might add. you treat them once a day for 7-10 days. if its an infection..you definitely need another medication for that..also to get from the vet. they arent expensive if the vet doesnt request a visit. i know they sell OTC ear mite medication but not sure how good it is.

Bookmark   December 17, 2011 at 1:32AM
More Discussions
propane tank
Is it better to buy or rent a large propane tank--for...
kokosnood
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
How do you deal with neighbors' dogs?
One of the neighbors' dogs killed my only 2 chickens...
cranberry15
propane heat vs. electric heat
We live in South Dakotan and have heated our home with...
wildhares
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™