Ear mites in dogs

rebekah23June 21, 2011

Hi, this is my first post! I have been battling ear mites in my 4 dogs for the past few weeks. It seems like one or two of the dogs will start to clear up, but then I guess they are reinfecting each other. It is exhausting cleaning then treating all 8 ears! The medicine I am using is called Excel Ear Mite Remedy (active ingredients: Pyrethrins 0.06%, Piperonyl Butoxide, Technical 0.60%) and I am treating every other day. I am cleaning with organic apple cider vinegar (I read ACV could actually be used to get rid of ear mites, so I tried that first but it didn't work).

I hate to take them to the vet for this, but it may be getting to that point because I can't seem to get their ears clear. Do any of you have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Rebekah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pamghatten(wny5)

Sorry, I can't help ... but you might want to ask the people on the Pets forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people and a vet or 2 that answer questions there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pets Forum

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 12:41PM
RodneyJS

I've heard food-grade diatomaceous earth kills bugs on pets. You may want to browse online about DE and pets

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 8:48PM
curdog007

Try 50/50 alcohol/ H2O2. Give a good squirt in the ear and massage to get it all the way down. They will try shaking their ears off.

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 8:47PM
akaj9(9 Central Florida)

I mixed alcohol, vinegar and ummm...some monistat...as my friend recently took hers to the vet for ear mites and a yeast infection was in there too....I have a lab...she hated it...but after a few doses she doesn't seem to be having any troubly. I just shook it all up in a baby bottle and administered it that way...I can't say it's the right thing to do...just that it worked for us... Years back I took a lab puppy in, and she too had a yeast infection...so it seemed practical to use a bit of the monistat to me :)

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 7:47PM
Zena3546(zone 8)

your vet might sell you a big bottle of mitaclear for all of them if your on good terms with the vet. meaning some vets want you to bring in a pet for anything they can get you in for. not my kind of vet i might add. you treat them once a day for 7-10 days. if its an infection..you definitely need another medication for that..also to get from the vet. they arent expensive if the vet doesnt request a visit. i know they sell OTC ear mite medication but not sure how good it is.

Bookmark   December 17, 2011 at 1:32AM
More Discussions
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
Tethering steers
Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone has done this...
mersiepoo
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
Sponsored Products
Dutch Dog Design DoggyRide Mini Stroller Conversion Set - DRMNSK02
$66.92 | Hayneedle
Signature Sweetgrass Pendant - Earth Flame Style Glass with Black hardware
Bellacor
Dog Bone Hounds Tooth Bright Sangria 1 Ft. 8 In. x 2 Ft. 8 In. Bone Shaped Rug
$59.00 | Bellacor
Comfort Dreams 8-inch Queen-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Indoor Area Rug: Alfred Shaheen Green/Blue 5' x 7' 6"
Home Depot