Unwanted Mushrooms

sneed(7)June 7, 2014

I am using Organics Vigoro Organic Gardening Soil from Home Depot in 13" pots to grow my organic veggies from seeds. After 1 month, many of my pots started sprouting mushrooms along with the veggies.
1. How did this happen?
2. Should I pull out the mushrooms or are they good for the growing process?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adidas(6/7)

Not sure what affect they have as far as being able to eat the veggies (they're prob. fine)but mushrooms are AWESOME for growing things! I just had a HUGE explosion of mushrooms amongst my seedlings and in just 1 week the seedlings in the mushroom patch have grown twice as big, while the seedlings that did not have mushroom neighbors have been left way behind. The mushrooms break down the soil and release nutrients! They are good things to have around!

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 10:05AM
loribee2(CA 9)

Yup, unless you really want them gone, I would leave them alone. Soon they will dry up and become part of the soil.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 10:09AM
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

The mushrooms themselves are no issue. However, using garden soil in containers is a huge issue. Garden soil isn't meant for containers (it should mention it on the back of the bag) and it's causing drainage and compaction problems. Combine that with the soil/compost that's in the garden soil and that's why you've got mushrooms popping up.

Rodney

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 10:20AM
sneed(7)

That's true. I bought the Garden soil instead of the Potting soil by accident. I'm hoping for the best.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 10:33AM
yolos - z 7b/8a Ga.

In containers, you do not want Garden soil, you do not want potting soil, you should use potting mix.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 10:48AM
sneed(7)

Do they have organic potting mix?

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 3:32PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Do they have organic potting mix?

Yes, many brands of it available. And the existence of fungus growths like toadstools and such is considered beneficial, normal, desirable.

Trying to garden organically in containers has its own set of problems to overcome since it is totally different from gardening organically in the ground where a soil food web exists to provide nutrients. But the 'mushrooms' isn't one of them.

Dave

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 3:55PM
sneed(7)

What type of problems?

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Are winter squash leaves edible?
for example, butternut squash?
takadi
hand pollinate broccolini?
Thanks to you guys, I realized that I bought Broccoli...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
Radish in Miami
I grow mostly tomatoes, but once in a while I plant...
garf_gw
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Old fertilizer question
I have a large bag of 10-10-10 that got wet. I doubt...
zzackey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™