Duck egg laying question.KEEP in or???

goldenpond((Vero.Beach FL 9b))June 18, 2010

Ok ive had my little flock now and done reasonably well.Three ducks have hidden from me and hatched nice ducklings although thats NOT what we were aiming for. We have a duck house for night complete with nesting boxes. A 12X12 chainlink is around that(COVERED) but My husband lets them out first thing in the morning. They have taken to making nests in bushes and against the garage etc,which is how we ended up with ducklings.In other words they hide the eggs. We didnt mind finding the eggs elsewhere but now the blue jays and crows are helping themselves to fresh eggs EVERY day. We are feeding and caring for these ducks we at least want the eggs. Would keeping them in the house or fenced area longer help? We love them to free range and enjoy the pond but this is getting crazy.

What is a reasonable time of day to let them out so they will lay inside the pen?

tanya

This crested mama parades her babies all over and refuses to come into our shelter. She houses them in heavy brush and hasnt lost one,,,,yet!

This crew was hatched aound the first of May(magpie mama)

Indian Runner females Are kept in a GROW UP pen.I let them help me in the garden a little each day.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dianezone5(z5MI)

GoldenPond,
Yep, your on the right tract. I don't let my ducks out untill 8:30-9:00am, and their eggs are layed. Sounds like we have the same set-up. Sometimes they decide to stay out all night(naughty little kids) and I hear the girls 1/2 to an hour after sunrise laying their eggs under my bedroom window. That makes up for staying out all night because......We LOVE Those Eggs!!!!!!!

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 9:41PM
More Discussions
old water well question...
There is an old well on our farm that used to be run...
lesli8
mean Turkey
My tom hates my daughter and all little kids is there...
michelle_annk
Diatomaceous Earth Anyone?
Okay, so while studying advertising way back in college,...
lfrj
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
How do you deal with neighbors' dogs?
One of the neighbors' dogs killed my only 2 chickens...
cranberry15
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Marsala Adobe 5' x 8'
Home Depot
AICO Furniture - Cortina 3 Piece Occasional Table Set - 65201-023SET
Great Furniture Deal
Egyptian Cotton Wrinkle Resistant 500 Thread Count Damask Stripe Sheet Set
Overstock.com
Varaluz Area 51 Recycled Glass Mini Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Bamboo Viscose Bi-Color Throw
Grandin Road
Bali Exterior Solar Shades: Boxwood (5%-7% Openness)
Blindsgalore
Claret Red Vintage Cotton Velvet Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 120
$117.95 | Bellacor
Dimplex Brookings Espresso Electric Fireplace Media Console - GDS25-E1055G
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™