A Cat attacked one of my ducklings!

christa_ducklingJune 8, 2007

Last night a cat got into my ducks pin and got one of the ducklings. The cat bit into the muscle part of the ducklings left leg. I am afraid that the babyÂs leg is now paralyzed or broken. (He will not move the leg at all just drags it around when moving). He does not jump or show any signs of feeling in the leg. It has only been a day and I donÂt know what I should do for him. Maybe Mother Nature will take care of him? Any suggestions to what I should do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GennyM

That's so sad!! I'm sorry about the little baby. It sounds like the cat broke it :( My duck's leg got broken (or either she twisted it) and she couldn't walk right for over a month so my mom just bandaged it up and it got better. I'd keep him inside if you're not already at least until his leg is better -- Good Luck!!

Genny

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 11:56PM
tiffany_2

Did your duck heal? If so, what position did you splint the leg in (straight out or in a sitting position)? I believe my duck has a broken leg. It just hangs there. He is young (7-8 weeks old). I just got him. I feel terrible for him and don't want to put him down, but I don't want him to suffer either. I'd take him to a vet but money is really tight. I need help. I feel terrible. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 5:55PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

In most cases splinting the leg will go a long way to help it heal. Its a shame that Cat owners think that their animals have any place out in the wild.

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 11:56PM
More Discussions
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
Why Does A Rooster Crow So Much?
What are they crowing About?He has his women.I was...
bulldinkie
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
omg The Wind Last Nite
Its still blowing here in Pa.It howled,I have a metal...
bulldinkie
Giardia from ducks and chickens?
I really hope this topic hasn't been posted numerous...
chickenmama1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™