Squash not growing

sbyerb1144June 17, 2009

I have several beautiful squash plants that are loaded with beautiful blooms. My problem is the squash get about 2 inches long and quit growing. They just set there a few days and either begin to rot or just swivle (?) up. does anyone have any idea whats going on?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momof3wildboys(Georgia/7)

My squash is doing the same thing! I thought it was because of lack of pollenation, but there were bees buzzing all over them this morning. It is also happening to my zucchini, but not as bad.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 10:23AM
stephen_albert(8b)

It is likely lack of pollination. If the weather has been cloudy or cool, the insects that do the pollinating may have not been working the flowers. (The first flowers that form on the squash vine are male flowers--they produce pollen and no fruit. Next come the females; the bees and insects must visit first the male, then the female flowers.) You can improve pollination by hand-pollinating: pick the male flower, remove the petals, then twirl the male directly on the stigma of the female flower. One male flowers can pollinate several females. Hand pollinate in the morning before flowers close in the afternoon.
Here a problem link:
http://www.harvestwizard.com/2009/05/squash_squash_growing_success.html

Here is a link that might be useful: HarvestToTable.com

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 10:41AM
sldistad(7/md)

Should you remove the small squash that aren't growing any larger? If so, how long should you wait before you remove them - just to be sure they really aren't going to grow bigger?

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 1:13PM
tcstoehr

It's also possible you haven't gotten any male flowers yet. I'm getting only female flowers so far on my two summer squashes. But I can see male flowers on the way.
Go ahead and pick the failed fruits, or leave them there, it matters not.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 1:54PM
opal52(z7b GA)

If you want to be sure to get fruit, you may want to hand pollinate. Maybe the bees are busy with other plants. Most of the bees visiting our gardens this week are working the lacecap hydrangeas which are in full bloom. The hydrangeas are covered with bumble bees and other of the smaller bees. Fun to watch.

If you have only a few plants, hand pollinating is not much trouble. I have noticed fruit that is pollinated starts growing (swelling) very quickly. I think you should be able to identify the failed fruit in one-two days after the blossom closes.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 4:02PM
sldistad(7/md)

Thanks for the advice - I guess I will look a little closer at the flowers and squash. We have had so much rain the last few weeks I just wasn't sure if that might be causing something different than I've seen before. I have tons of 2-3 inch squash and lots of flowers so maybe all is not lost.

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 11:59AM
Casey85

This is my first year growing a garden my yellow summer squash is doing great but I have realized that I was not getting full grown squash! It would get about 2-3 inches an dies! Well after doing research I don't have very many male flowers! I have self pollinated all I can but so far I only have 1 squash an 22 dead little baby squash! Is this normal?

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 12:14PM
More Discussions
Looking for Artichoke Plant Enthusiasts
I have eight years experience growing artichoke plants...
Pond Plant Girl
What's up with these basil plants?
I planted these into my garden bed a week ago. I’ve...
Kim Kimura
Different greens?
My mother has been fighting cancer for a year now,...
appalachi
Unforecasted late frost
I'm pretty much a newbie. I transplanted a yellow...
Katie Gooding
Cutting seed potatoes, what to expect next?
Hi everyone, I just joined. I have a potato question...
Terese
Sponsored Products
Luxe Tones Ombre Planter
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Tangerine Canary McKenzie Ottoman
Cost Plus World Market
Area Rug: Larvik Flame Orange 3' Round
$80.97 | Home Depot
Bourgie Table Lamp by Kartell
$450.00 | Lumens
Fabbian | Tile D95 E07 Ceiling Light
YLighting