Question on Hale's Best Cantaloupes

lasparks63June 16, 2009

I have 3 good size cantaloupes forming (yeah!). My question is do these look more like watermelon while they're growing. They have varied green on the surface. I can take a pic if I need to.

Thanks,

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stephanieftx

For some reason I'm thinking there's a green Hale's Best and the normal orange colored Hale's Best. Do you know which you have?

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 10:41AM
lasparks63

I got them from Home Depot. It's Bonnie's Plants and from what I can see online it looks like they only do the cream colored ones. I've always wondered if some of the labels ever get mixed up. Wondering if I have a watermelon instead of a cantaloupe. They look pretty much alike (the plants and flowers, not the fruit of course). Here's a pic

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 11:33AM
farmerdilla

Whoa: That is a cantaloupe. However I am concerned, because a watermelon has a very diferent physical appearance from a cantaloupe. No way you should ever confuse the two. And yes, Hales Best and many other cantaloupes are dark dark green until they net and then ripen to a yellowish color.
Watermelon
Cantaloupe

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 12:28PM
lasparks63

It's definately cantaloupe. Didn't realize the leaves were so different. Thanks for your help. Off to find pantyhose to sling those babies. Will be out of town for 10 days and they should be huge by then. (no worries, neighbor caring for garden while we're gone and she doesn't like cantaloupe).

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™