Inheriting a Farm

vilasmanJune 5, 2011

I will be inheriting around 60 acres which is part of a larger tract of 200 or so acres. I have access to all of it. Most of it's cleared, we already have tractors and bulldozer and such. I live about 4 hrs away. For years I have been trying to figure out what to do with it. I see from this forum that it tales awhile to build things up to the point that it produces any kind of income. Currently a relative has about 20 cows on it with a breeding bull. Not sure if we will keep the cows when he gets to be to old to take care of them. I am looking for information or a forum that discusses farm related topics on this scale

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Well, what would you LIKE to be able to do with this land? Do you see it as a mainly one-use type thing such as a dairy farm, or as a multiple-use, live-on-property, gentleman farmer kind of thing, with many varied animals, fruit orchard, vegetable garden, hayfield, etc.? What buildings are on site?

Also, what kind of land is it--flat, hilly, dry, boggy? How is the soil, will it support growth of crops, and what is the year round weather like? IS there an abundant water supply, a stream, a well?

That's a nice chunk of land in this day & age to come into. :) Think about how much it will cost you in property taxes, insurance, etc. when planning what to use it for. Lots of good information here, although lately it's been a bit quiet. We tend to get more of the hobby farmers here, but you could also look into homesteading forums.

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 2:22AM
brendasue(6)

Velvet has very good questions, and your future farming venture should be based on those answers.

If it were mine (and not knowing the answers to the questions above) I would put in a few greenhouses, an orchard, a herd of meat goats to be sold for meat with perhaps dairy goats for making soaps ect for a hobby. Maybe some bees & maple syrup if you have maple trees. All are easy enough to do and can help sustain the farm.

Water on the property would help make things easier.

Once you can determine what you want to do with your acreage, there are specialty forums with detailed information for each segment of your plan.

Brendasue

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 8:36PM
dreamgarden(z6)

If you don't have time to do the work yourself, could you lease the property to someone who can farm it for you?

I have a friend in N. Dakota who inherited 600 acres. They didn't live in the area and let the caretaker run things after their parents passed. They sold 5 prime acres (w/water) to the caretaker who is trying to hound them into giving him more. He is blackening their name in the small town where the farm is located.

If you decide to sell/lease any part of it, make sure you use a lawyer who is familiar with the laws regarding mineral/water rights, etc.

Links that might be useful:

forums.gardenweb.com/forums/homest/

www.homesteadingtoday.com/

www.farmland.org/resources/fote/states/top20.asp

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
omg The Wind Last Nite
Its still blowing here in Pa.It howled,I have a metal...
bulldinkie
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
Staph Aureus in the compost?
Once in a while, one of my hens gets bumblefoot. The...
saffron_parasol
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™