Hen or rooster?!

johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)June 12, 2010

I just posted photos on my blog of a two-month old chick. I really want it to be a girl, but...!

Please take a look and then vote in the poll to let me know your opinion -- hen or rooster?

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Two-month old chick -- hen or rooster?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oliveoyl3

Something we learned in 4-H is to check the feathers on the back between the wings, not the neck hackle. Rounded tips = pullet (F) and pointed = cockerel (M). This works for all except silkies, frizzles, & hen-feathered breeds such as Sebrights.

It's easier to catch them after dark with a small flashlight & just pluck them off the roost. The mother hen wouldn't do much if you pull them away & examine under a flashlight before returning.

Also, at 2 months for your type of birds as pictured on your blog the pullets would still have yellowish combs, small, and barely wattles. Cockerels will be pinked up with larger comb & wattles. They also behave differently when approached from above as the pullets squat & cockerels don't. Kids used to just wave a feed pan overhead and try to sort them out, but the feathers always confirmed gender no matter what they appeared to behave like with each other.

Hope that helps,
Corrine

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
cattle
I finally found and bought 2 head of cattle just before...
trisha_51
Staph Aureus in the compost?
Once in a while, one of my hens gets bumblefoot. The...
saffron_parasol
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™