mother duck and ducklings

zootjs(zone 5 MA)June 17, 2011

One of my Indian Runner Ducks has hatched two eggs. This variety has a reputation for being questionable mothers, but sometimes they do alright. Now, I need to decide whether to remove the ducklings to a brooder or keep the family together. It's less risky, but seems like an awful thing to do, as the mother is doing really well with them so far. The three most experienced people I know have advised to keep them together, and just protect them from the rest of the flock, so that's where I'm currently leaning.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, is as cute as a day old duckling....

--Jonathan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goldenpond((Vero.Beach FL 9b))

My Indian Runners have turned out to be pretty good mamas.Just try to reach in there nd you will get your arm bit and bruised! i have 8 ducklings of various ages and they are all doing fine.I am keeping the smallest penned until they are too big for Tilapias to much on the others are half as big as the adults and the whole flock leaves the pond to greet me in the driveway!
The one issue I had was the one mama was so thin she couldnt sit on all her eggs so i scooped up a few to be plunked under another mother duck whos eggs were bad.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 4:18PM
More Discussions
Need Spark Plug Wire
I have an old Stihl chansaw (041AV) that my dad bought...
Denn66breck
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
looking for farm software
Hi folks, new here. Well kinda, it's been years anyway. Looking...
arkygirl
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™