What is getting my zucchini? Fungus?

nifferousJune 29, 2009

I'm a pretty new gardener, so bear with me! I went out this morning and found my zucchini wilted and dying. It looked fine 2 days ago. It looks like there is some sort of yellowish-orange stuff on the main vein. What is it and did this kill the plant? I have a straighneck squash next to this that looks like it has the stuff on it and a few leaves are dying.

This is what the plant looks like this morning

Here is the main vein

HEre is what is on the squash next to it

And here is a leaf on the squash. There are two leaves like this and I'm afraid the squash is headed in the direction of the zucchini.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jwstell42(5 NY)

Squash Vine Borer - most likely the plant is done, but you can attempt to cut the grub out and cover in soil and cross your fingers.

Do a search on "SVB" or Squash Vine Borer and you will see many discussions surrounding it.

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 11:00AM
susaneden(5)

definitely SVB--my sympathies

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 11:01AM
nifferous

Thank you very much! I would have never guessed a bug, since I didn't see any!

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 11:37AM
iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)

My sympathy. I've lost squash that way the past two years because I didn't know the trick of operating on them.

I've operated on my squash for borers a couple times this year and there's only one that I am doubtful about. They weren't that far gone though.

It might not be too late to plant a new batch of a quick maturing variety.

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 3:36PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Squash vine borers are a "bug" - they are a grub like borer - and you may sometimes see the moth that lays the eggs but you will never see the borer unless you cut him out of the hollow vine.

As mentioned above, search SVB and squash vine borer for many discussions and tons of info about them here.

Dave

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 3:48PM
shebear(z8 NCentralTex)

Yep it's the SVB. I have an amazing Cavili squash that just keeps going and going. I can see it's been hit alot but it just keeps going. I keep covering the stem so maybe it's rooting.

And my tromboncino zucchini is funny too. It's been hit many times but just keeps growing longer runners. I did inject that one with BT but I don't think it's killed any worms.

Just keep replanting and cover until they bloom.

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 4:25PM
stephanieftx

We caught a SVB on our zucchini before it had done too much damage. DH cut the plant open, dug out the worm, and then we tied the stem back together with a piece of pantyhose. Our plant lives and it's producing zukes.

Hosted on Fotki

Here is a link that might be useful: The Haphazard Gardener

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
Are winter squash leaves edible?
for example, butternut squash?
takadi
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™