Baby Pygmy goat feeding and water

banditsmomJuly 9, 2010

I have a 4 week old baby pygmy goat and have had him for 2 weeks. He has been taking mannapro replacement and has been getting 4 bottles a day with 5 oz in two feedings and 4 oz in the others. He still seemed as if he was starving and just started to nibble leaves. I gave him water in a bottle as he will not drink and was concerned about him becoming dehydrated with the heat and now he has red urine. I am so concerned as I read that you shouldn't give water to a baby goat in a bottle as it causes this problem, but a friend said she offers water to her kid and they will drink until they are not thirsty. Have I harmed my baby? PLEASE HELP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
littledog(z7 OK)

I'd take the baby off milk replacer and start it on whole milk. (not 2%) Cow's milk is fine, and a pygmy won't be drinking very much so it wouldn't be too expensive.

Give him access to browse, (green leaves from trees and grass) and hay with a small bucket of water available at all times. You can always add electrolytes to the water if you think he's looking dehydrated but no more water from a bottle; if he gets thirsty, he'll sip from the bucket. If you feed him things growing in your yard, make sure you don't have plants that are hazardous or even toxic for small ruminants. (Absolutely no yew, azalea, rhodendron, etc.)

For the red urine: if it's water intoxication cased by the water in the bottle, it should clear up on it's own. If you suspect a UTI, give the little guy about 2 ounces of unsweetened cranberry juice (Ocean spray brand is best) twice a day for a couple of days and if it's a urinary tract infection, it should clear up.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 2:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jennybog(zone 5)

I have always feed my goats milk replacer until they were 6 weeks every 4 hours .At night we let them go all night. Free choice hay. We dont feed them things that grow in the yard. we introduce them to a bucket of water to drink. Fiasco farm has a great website. Sounds like your little one could have a uti. Do you have a good farm vet? They normally let you call with ?? how wonderful to have a baby. Good luck . They are so sweet when they are babies. Wish i could talk dh into it.

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 8:25AM
More Discussions
Need Spark Plug Wire
I have an old Stihl chansaw (041AV) that my dad bought...
Denn66breck
Why Does A Rooster Crow So Much?
What are they crowing About?He has his women.I was...
bulldinkie
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
omg The Wind Last Nite
Its still blowing here in Pa.It howled,I have a metal...
bulldinkie
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™