Chicken coop run planting

kasiecJuly 13, 2008

My husband and I are building a chicken coop with a run. Is it okay to plant vining plants on the fence or will this cause harm to the chickens. All information is greatly appreciated.

Kasie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

Depends on the plant, something like peas or beans or kiwi's would be fine, some vines just like any other type of plant might kill chickens if they eat it.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 3:17AM
kasiec

Thank you Brendan.

Kasie

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 3:10PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Make sure it's a plant that isn't toxic to birds, check this list:

http://www.plannedparrothood.com/plants.html

Also, your chickens will think you've planted said yummy vine for them to eat. Constantly. Until it's dead. :) So plan for them to destroy it and try to protect the plants.

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 4:43PM
kasiec

Thank you so much for the info. Velvet. I guess I will have to abandon my vision of planting something to the fencing. I will just have to plant them away from the chicken's reach. Again, thank you.

Kasie

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 10:30PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

I wouldn't put much stock in that list. Its for humans (plenty of things that will kill humans but not our animals, like sweet pea hay) and not very good, Sorghum is on it as toxic.

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 1:53AM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

That list is complete rubbish, sassafras is listed as safe even though it has been banned by the FDA for causing cumulative liver damage and contains safarole, a known carcinogen.

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 1:58AM
msjay2u(7)

Kasie here is a list specific to chickens. Maybe parrots are a little more sensiitive than chickens??
make sure to stay away from periwinkle. it is a hallucinogen and your chicks will be trippin. Marijuana is on the list too. You better not be planting that in your yard or your chicks will be tripping and you might be going to jail and people will be thinking you were trippin!
LOL I just had to add that!

BTW some peas and some beans are on the bad list so make sure you check the list if you decide to plant them.

Here is a link that might be useful: plants to keep away from chickens

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 10:06PM
kasiec

Msjay2u, thank you for the link. I find it very informative. Maybe I should try some of the periwinkle and see if I get the trippin effect like the chickens :)

Kasie

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 12:42AM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

Holy crow I totally misread that as planned parrent hood! I thought it looked poorly done. Ignore what I said please!

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 3:19AM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

*LOL* brendan! Yeah, it's a list of plants toxic to birds put out and aimed at people who keep parrots.

May or may not include stuff deadly to poultry, but it's a start. :)

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 3:51AM
msjay2u(7)

LOL Kasie, stay away from the periwinkle

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 5:48PM
posy_pet(z6Mo.)

I planted gourds and scarlet runner beans on my chicken yard last year.The chickens ate the beans but the gourds made wonderful shade.However I read that any vine will eventually pull down the wire.Those gourds weighed a ton.Last fall we put a roof on most of the run for shade.This year I put yard long beans outside the run and Cannas for shade.The beans are slow.I also hung an old wicker porch shade for shade.My chickens are spoiled.Posy Pet

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 7:35PM
msjay2u(7)

I was thinking that gourds would be good too. Never really thought about the weight. since I have to same question in mind I am interested in seeing the responses as well

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 11:14PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

If you build it sturdy enough it will rust out before it falls down.

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 12:58AM
tejas_pacas(z8 SC TX)

I use antique climbing roses on my run and they do great. The chickens will keep the interior trimmed of anything that comes through or is within the first inch of the wire. I also have lemon balm on the outside, and they love to get my trimmings when I pinch it back.

I have 2x4 welded wire fencing across the top of the run to keep the cats and other critters out. Two roses have covered the whole top of a 8'x16' run. At my new house, the run will be 12'x24, and I plan on putting 3 roses. Since it's out in the hot sun, I plan on putting my lemon balm and lime balm out there, some old hardy crinums (they attract the snails, a treat for the chickens), daylilies, and maybe the short cannas. I don't want to completely block the sides so I can have air circulation - today's forecast is 96. My mother uses Madam Galen Trumpet vine on her chicken run.

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 7:31AM
kasiec

Hello tejas pacas - sounds absolutely wonderful, do you have any photos you can share?

Kasie

Bookmark   July 20, 2008 at 1:54AM
msjay2u(7)

LOL I think that means roofing tiles.

Bookmark   July 20, 2008 at 11:54AM
henhilton(8)

You would need to keep a sharp eye on the growth of the trumpet vine, as the trunks will grow HUGE in just a few years and kill the fence. (RIP chain link fence at our old house)

I find my chickens really enjoy the cucumber I grow on the side they share with the garden. I planted extra this year just for them.

We have mustang grape growing wild all over our property and the birds love it when I gather the whole vine and throw it in their yard - they eat the grapes and the leaves. (I haven't planted any on their fence, tho, since we're at war with the stuff in our trees!) But that could be an attractive option, if you're interested.

Bookmark   July 24, 2008 at 12:33PM
msjay2u(7)

I happened to see a full trumpet vine today and BOY IS IT HUGE!! so I can see how it will destroy a fence. My grape vine is on the ground. it broke the 4" timbers that was supporting it. oh brother,,,, another project

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 11:50PM
tlowery04(6b/7a)

ours did the same thing, what we did was get presure treated 2x4's and drive them into the ground on either side of the brokenp pole with a sledge hammer, and then used numerous screws to fasten them to the broken pole. That was two years ago and I haven't had a problem with it yet. Some day though It will all have to come down I know and be re-done

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 12:32AM
More Discussions
Giving bones to a dog
We got a couple of large soup bones (no meat on them...
carmen_grower_2007
First time hatching Duck eggs!!
Hello-- This is my first time hatching duck eggs. I...
christie71
mean Turkey
My tom hates my daughter and all little kids is there...
michelle_annk
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
Diatomaceous Earth Anyone?
Okay, so while studying advertising way back in college,...
lfrj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™