Price of smaller farmland lots lately?

mrteaJuly 10, 2011

Can anyone give me an idea of what has been happening to the cost of smaller farms / "life-style" properties lately? I'm thinking of properties/vancant land in the vicinity of 50-200 acres or so. I want to know whether such land went through a similar increase in prices during the property bubble, and whether - during the last couple of years - they have experienced similar declines in prices as that which has occured in the real estate sector. Or have they been pretty much exempt from this whole cycle?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
softmentor(z9/sunset13 CA desert)

I'd like to help with that but... that's really an impossible question to answer here. It depends on what is happening in that area, if it is on the edge of development, and local economy. Check locally.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 2:59PM
mrtea

I can't find any data that shows the trends at all...was wondering if anyone had anything anecdotaly they could tell me. Even in just your local area?

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 6:07PM
kymike

Here is information on land in Kansas. Values in other states will depend on proximity to populated areas (most of rural kansas is sparcely populated)

Here is a link that might be useful: Kansas land prices

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 12:55PM
pamghatten(wny5)

That's a pretty broad question ... here in Western NY, outside Buffalo, we never had the huge increases in values ... it's always just been a slow steady increase.

Now some of the more rural areas are becoming more popular as people want to move out of the McMansion burbs, into less populated areas. More popular = increase in price.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 12:52PM
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

East of the Cascades in Oregon:

The small farms, the big farms, and the enormous cattle ranches went up in price just as much as residential, if not more.

The prices of agricultural have fallen steeply, but not down to what they were before the bubble, and not as deep a cut as residential.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 11:32PM
More Discussions
Duck hiding/disappeared
I have 2 drakes and 2 females (pekin and mallard) ...
meredithmanning2
old water well question...
There is an old well on our farm that used to be run...
lesli8
Diatomaceous Earth Anyone?
Okay, so while studying advertising way back in college,...
lfrj
How do you deal with neighbors' dogs?
One of the neighbors' dogs killed my only 2 chickens...
cranberry15
mean Turkey
My tom hates my daughter and all little kids is there...
michelle_annk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™