Dusting box question

runningtrailsJuly 12, 2008

I made the chickens a great dusting box (or so I thought) but I don't think they use it. They prefer to dig holes in the yard and use those instead. Some are dusting in the wood shavings I put on the floor of the house. I put the dusting box inside the coop to keep it dry and put in sifted dust from outside, some fine sand, wood ash and DE. I want them to use what I have made with the DE. They lay in these holes they have dug in the yard and nap too. It's fairly sandy soil. One dug a hole, and insisted on laying in it, right in front of the coop door where the other gals had to step on her to get outside. (I think I'm going to put something over that one to prevent that.)

Should I move the dusting box that I made outside or put some of the DE and wood ash in the holes they are using?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msjay2u(7)

The nerve!!
Animals can be so unappreciate of our hard work.

Are your dusting boxes big and deep enough? I have no idea of the size it is supposed to be but I plan on using s kitty litter pan.

If I were you I would put something in the box to attract them to it. maybe a few worms or something so they will get in it and start digging. Once they dig they will get the feel of it and maybe come to like it. also maybe you can move it over one of the spots they chose. there may be a reason in their chicken brain that they chose that spot.

I'm no expert I'm just throwing out some ideas I would try...

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
How do you deal with neighbors' dogs?
One of the neighbors' dogs killed my only 2 chickens...
cranberry15
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
mean Turkey
My tom hates my daughter and all little kids is there...
michelle_annk
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Chandra Rugs Thomaspaul Orange/Cream 2 ft. 6 in. x
Home Depot
Frosted Wine Bottle and Glasses Gift Boxed
Classic Hostess
Uttermost Duara Circle Table Lamp
Beyond Stores
'Only One' Elvis Tin Tote
$8.99 | zulily
Americh Concorde 6032 Tub (60" x 32" x 21")
Modern Bathroom
Three 16" Cedar Planters & Two Benches
Fifthroom.com
AICO Furniture - Tuscano Mansion Bedroom Set in Biscotti -...
Great Furniture Deal
Campania International Shadow The Cat Perched Cast Stone Garden Statue - A-371-A
$489.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™