keeping cattle water clean

growernut(4/5 NEBR)July 1, 2008

does anyone use something like clorox or some other item to help keep their cattle water tanks clean? i'm having a tough time right now with mosquito's and drain and clean the tank weekly but was hoping to find something that might help it last a couple weeks.

thanks

Gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oberhasli1

Growernut, have you tried using mosquito dunks? They are disks that you float in your water tanks that prevent mosquitos from laying eggs and breeding. They are animal friendly. I bought some for a friend who has a slow, almost stagnant,stream in her back yard. You can find them in feed stores, Wal-Mart, or on-line at Amazon or other places. I know a lot of horse people who use them.

Bonnie

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 12:14PM
growernut(4/5 NEBR)

thanks, i will check those out. have not heard of them before.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 1:43PM
acorn

I've had good luck with goldfish in my stock tank. The horses or cows don't drink them.

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 12:39PM
presmudjo(z9 Osceola FL)

I use about a half of a plastic cup of clorox about once a week, depending on temps. Actually, the bull gets mad when it is about time to add clorox. He will butt the tank and let you know! He is a trip anyway. I have to fill up the tank every other day in Florida, they will drink about half of it. I have 2 cows.

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 8:28PM
runninoutta_msn_com

Yes, and lately I am trying calcium hypochlorite tablets. They work better and faster to kill all sorts of stuff in this very hot, dry, drought weather we are having. Just hope it doesn't kill the animals also. I put in a tablet and run clean water for about 24 hours in my very large water tanks--we'll see if it keeps the water clean without killing my horses. Will probably only use one per season.

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 12:39PM
bulldinkie(pa)

We have automatic waterers,nice you just have to flush out occasionally

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 10:42PM
More Discussions
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Chickens and Guineas Together
I would like to get 2 chickens and 2 guineas to wonder...
srks72
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Water Well Question
I have an old water well on my property. It was originally...
srks72
raising baby ducks to release in private pond
We have a 2 acre pond next to a small cabin on 130...
anne2006
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™