rock salt & chickens

dighappy(z7 NJ)July 20, 2011

I have a small patch of poison ivy I need to kill and don't want to use the conventional method of spraying the patch with weed killer/poison as I have chickens (and cats) that peck around and nap in this patch under the trees. The manager at the feed store I go to suggested I cover the poison ivy with rock salt to kill it but I am concerned that the chickens might eat the rock salt and get sick or worse. Can anyone tell me if using the rock salt is safe around the chickens. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal19

I don't know if rock salt would be safe for chickens or not, - but, I wouldn't use it.

The best way to get rid of poison ivy is to pull it, bag it, and put it in the garbage. Of course, use gloves - disposable gloves so you can throw them away too. Or sometimes I use the plastic bags that grocery stores use to pack your groceries. Insert your hand into the bag - grab and pull the poison ivy (the bag is like the glove) - then, invert the bag over the ivy and dispose it all in the trash. Do not burn it and do not compost it.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
propane heat vs. electric heat
We live in South Dakotan and have heated our home with...
wildhares
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
looking for farm software
Hi folks, new here. Well kinda, it's been years anyway. Looking...
arkygirl
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Why Does A Rooster Crow So Much?
What are they crowing About?He has his women.I was...
bulldinkie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™