Can I plant sprouted potatoes?

dirt_poet(5)June 6, 2008

I'm getting a late start on planting potatoes this year, but I was still surprised to discover my seed potatoes are full of white, 8" sprouts. I kept them in a closed paper bag in a cool basement, but I did purchase them about a month ago. The potatoes themselves are soft and wrinkled, but show no signs of disease.

I've heard of sprouting potatoes in light for short, green sprouts, but never anything about planting spindly white sprouts. Can these still be planted successfully?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

Absolutely! In fact, some people deliberately sprout them before planting.

Just try to avoid breaking off those roots as you plant.

Sue

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 12:15PM
vieja_gw(z7NM)

My composting my kitchen & garden wastes .... GROW! I have the nicest potatoes each Fall from the composted potato peelings ... must have some viable small 'eyes' left. I didn't know good size 'taters would grow from just peelings?!

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 12:57PM
cynthia_h

We had ordered seed potatoes (which arrived) but, when the day to plant arrived, found that one of the potatoes in our 5-lb kitchen bag of spuds had sprouted 4- to 5-inch roots. So it went into the potato box as well!

Now the "volunteer" potato plants are the fastest growing in the box. After only two weeks (yes, we planted late, but we planted when we could...), these "volunteer" Russets (?) are 14 inches tall. Whoa.

So, go with those volunteers as well as the potatoes you PLANNED on planting.

Cynthia

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 11:44PM
shirleywny5(5)

When you see sprouts on the potatoes, they are not roots. They are the start of the leaf growth. They are feeding off the flesh of the potato. If you remove the sprouts before planting, they will grow new but will take a little longer.

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 8:23AM
pattynbigd

My middle schooler is working on a science fair project.
Do potatoes grow just as well with incandescent light as natural light? No seed potatoes available. Can he plant
sprouted red potatoes I have in pantry? So far he has cut two potatoes in half and planted in 4 clay pots, watering thoroughly. Will any potato leaves be visible above ground in 4 weeks? When temps drop below 40F at night, should pots in natural light be brought inside?
Patty

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 6:32PM
THEUOK_YAHOO_COM

I purchased potatoes in bags for planting (seed). They had sprouts up to 6 inches long. The ptoatoes are small and shriveled up. I buried them completely in about 3 inces of good composted soil. Will they grow? Am I making a mistake by buring the sprouts? How do you know if thier alive?

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 11:02PM
More Discussions
I don't remember what I planted.
This is my first year gardening and I can't seem to...
riggem
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
broccoli
Can I continue to grow broccoli when the temps are...
mwoolet
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™