Drilling a well

dtrade83July 17, 2013

I have an old farm yard I am rebuilding in north east Texas that has an old bent out of shape windmill that use to pump water on it. The pipes have rusted shut so I want to drill another hole. Does anyone have any info or advice on how to do this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gmatx zone 6

The first thing to do is decide if you wish to have a windmill or a submergible pump (if that is an option).

Why do you want to drill a new hole? Is that one dry? Just because the column pipe is rusted shut (?) doesn't mean there is no water. You would need to have a well driller check out the water status for you unless the previous owner can give you that information. I would suggest you contact someone local who deals in windmills and check into buying a new tower and mill (or used ones in good shape) to replace the one currently there if the well still has water available and you want to maintain a windmill. You will probably need to replace your sucker rods, also. A windmill requires good maintenance to operate properly.

Not sure of the water table depth in that part of the state, but well drilling is best left to the professionals. Call a local driller and visit with them.

Best of luck.

Mary

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 8:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dtrade83

Thank you for the feed back gmatx. All of the family menbers that would know any thing about the water table have passed away so I think your advice is my best option

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
Turkeys: how do you know if you have a female turkey?
We have one "pet" turkey, most likely a Broad...
undercover_owl
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™