Transplanting a watermelon?

midsummersgardenJune 12, 2009

I tossed some old seeds down in a small spot to clear out my seed cabinet. A watermelon was one of the things that came up.

It now has five leaves and a cluster of buds in the middle. Is it safe to dig it up and put it out back where I have space? Or do watermelons not transplant well?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
makete(U.P. of Mi.)

Will be interested in this topic also. As I also have some to transplant.

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 12:13PM
deep___roots(ca9/sunset15)

Well, what do you have to lose?
On the other hand, I sowed some kind of melon seed from Bolivia this year in small plastic pots. One pot had 2 sprouts. When transplanted out, I was sure these 2 plants would not make it. But after a few weeks they have brightened up considerably and are growing. So be aware that melon plants may look unhappy for a while after transplanting. But they may recover. Good rich soil would be helpful in the new space. Good luck.

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 12:18PM
leira(6 MA)

The classic answer is that curcurbits (squashes, cukes, melons) don't transplant well.

That being said, I have transplanted a larger-than-seemed-wise vining squash, and it did quite well.

A watermelon isn't going to do well in a small pot, no matter what. I'd say to proceed as gently as you can, and hope for the best.

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 12:20PM
luvsdieter(6a)

I tried transplanting 4 sugar baby seedlings this year. All 4 died :( I have heard that the viners like that don't transplant well. I believe it now!

But hey, on the bright side, I was able to fill the open space with blue and black berry shrubs :)

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 4:37PM
missemerald(7 (Virginia))

I've never had any trouble transplanting squashes and cukes, but have never grown melons (no room)). I wouldn't think that it would be difficult. They look a bit wilted for a few days afterward but keep them moist and they're fine. I just transplanted 8 squash plants recently, and I have to transplant the cukes yet. Just proceed carefully, don't do it when it's really hot and sunny, and keep it watered well. It might look wilted, and even lose the bottom most leaves, but be patient. Good luck!

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 6:15PM
midsummersgarden

Actually, its a small spot, not pot. :)

Its too near my flowerbed and I'd like it to roam, so I'll probably try digging deep and wide around it.

Thanks for the responses.

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 7:37PM
idaho_gardener

All of my melons are transplants. Some I bought at the store, some I sprouted in pots. I think that two died after transplanting, but the other 12 or so have survived and are growing. Some got their leaves cut off by an insect but resprouted new leaves. (Does anybody know what insect does that?)

Last year's melons were also transplants of indoor sprouted seeds.

I have 7 muskmelon and 5 watermelon plants, more or less.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 6:34AM
gardenlover25

Its ok to transplant a watermelon to a larger space where it can grow better. Be sure not to damage the roots when you transfer this plant. The advantage of transplanting the watermelon is early harvesting.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 7:01AM
anney(Georgia 8)

I just transplanted eight small Ambrosia cantaloupe seedlings from my now-empty onion container (about 8 inches of soil) where I put them, wondering if they'd germinate. Every seed I planted did. I dug up the seedlings with quite a bit of soil surrounding them and set them in the garden Friday. They haven't even wilted!

Maybe the trick is to transplant them when they're small when the roots haven't become cramped or distorted, and transplant them with as little root disturbance as possible.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Potatoes and snakes
Perhaps you all can debunk an absurd concern I've had...
formerly_creativeguy
Are winter squash leaves edible?
for example, butternut squash?
takadi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™