Hen with chicks is sitting on another broody hen's nest?

riakettyJuly 31, 2009

Hiya.

We have 3 broody hens/nests within 3 feet of each other. Lucky us, right? Well, each nest is about a week apart in hatching time. The first nest hatched yesterday and mama hen started taking the babies out today. I cleaned up the bad eggs out of her nest.

Well, I came in tonight to see her -- and her chicks -- sitting on another broody's nest. The other hen is going frantic because she 'lost' her nest... tearing up the straw, wandering around clucking, etc. What should I do? If I move the first hen, the 2nd will probably sit on her eggs again, but will this keep happening? Should I have left the bad eggs in there? I've removed them from similar situations and it didn't seem to matter to the hen...

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nelda1234

Yikes! You have one upset little Mama! I would move little mamas nest/eggs to a secluded area so that she can have them back and finish hatching her babies. You should always clean up any eggs that don't hatch-you do not want to have a problem with pests and possible disease from left over eggs. I would also move the other nest/eggs to another secluded spot also so that everybody will be happy-out of site out of mind sorta thing-new mama will take care of her babies and forget about the other nesters'.

I have had that happen and have always just moved them and then everybody was happy--however, I don't think I will let that many set on eggs again :) I had one girl that just kept on taking the other girls nest/eggs even though she had her own babies---she would see the eggs and holler yippee,yippee more eggs!! :) So now I will only let one have eggs at a time!!

Bookmark   July 31, 2009 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
suyoder
cattle
I finally found and bought 2 head of cattle just before...
trisha_51
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™