Miracle Weed Killer

skeipJune 21, 2014

On Facebook, this recipe for a miracle weed killer has been making the rounds, 1gal Vinegar, 2C Epsom Salts / Table Salt, 1/2C Dawn Dish Washing Liquid. Spray on a sunny warm day.

It is touted as being as effective as RoundUp but much safer for the environment. Has anybody actually tried this stuff? I can't find anyone who has. What is the method of killing, is it foliar or does it get the roots too? Do I have to respray or is it a one shot deal? Is there any residual effect on the soil that I should be concerned about? I understand that Vinegar in and of itself will kill plants and that the Dawn is just a surfactant, but what are the Epsom Salts / Salt for?

I have an old Strawberry bed that is infested with thistles that I would love to clear out and replant, and this sounds too good to be true, and you know what they say about that...

TYIA!

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Plain vinegar will kill any plant without adding anything else. But thistle is a very tough plant with deep roots that spread underground, and the vinegar will not kill the roots. So it will come back. You can keep killing it, making sure to get every bit of green that emerges, until it gives up the ghost. Without photosynthesis, it will have no way to keep growing.

But the best way to get rid of it is probably to deeply soak the area with water, and using very tough garden gloves, try pulling it out along with as much as the root system as you can get. Thistle will grow back from bits of root left in the ground, so you have to keep on top of it.

For some reason, people love the idea of mixing concoctions of various common things like soap, Epsom salts, salt, oil and vinegar, but it often just makes a mess or hurts the plants you're trying to save. You're right. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 12:48PM
aniajs Z7 Reno, NV(7)

I tend to be wary of anything that has "miracle" in the name. That said, I use plain vinegar as a foliar spray to kill weeds, and it works as well as roundup with one benefit being it's a heck of a lot cheaper. As far as thistle, I got better results with pulling them out after a good rain, but if your soil dries out as quickly as mine does in summer, spray some vinegar on the leaves (for more dramatic results, microwave the vinegar so it's hot, but no so hot as to melt the spray bottle). The vinegar will kill the surface plant, and it you're diligent about it you will eventually get less thistle coming up, though nothing will stop the seeds from blowing in...

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 1:21PM
conchitaFL(10 Hutchinson Island)

Maybe we have tougher weeds down here, but in my experience, even drenching both plant and soil with vinegar only kills the visible part of the plant, if that (and not always even that if you use vinegar from the grocery store). It's useless for serious weed control.

You have good instincts, Steve.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 1:24PM
skeip

Thanks everyone for confirming what I thought!

Steve

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
Radish in Miami
I grow mostly tomatoes, but once in a while I plant...
garf_gw
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™