pot bellied pig with balance issue

hamilton615July 18, 2012

my 7y.o. pbp has trouble keeping his balance when he lifts up his head, usually to get a treat. he will start stumbling forward and cant stop until he runs into something or falls over. if he falls over he will continue pushing himself forward until he can stop. my vet thinks he might have a pinched nerve in his neck. it almost seems like vertigo to me. he is being treated with antibiotic and rimadyl. also had a high dose of ivermectin.

was wondering if anybody has had a similar issue or has any ideas.

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ninapearl(2aIL)

hi hamilton, i have 3 pbp's. i don't have an answer to your question but i will post this at a couple of yahoo groups and see if i can get any ideas for you.

nina :)

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 8:52PM
Ninapearl(2aIL)

i did some looking around at allexperts.com and found this answer to a question about a pbp losing its balance (i will put it in quotes)...

"Pigs have narrow ear canals that are easily blocked, and blocked ears can affect balance. Lack of balance can also be caused by neurological problems like stroke or salt poisoning. Antibiotics will not fix any of these problems.
Make sure her ears are clean but do NOT squirt liquid into the ears and do NOT allow the vet to flush them with water. Both cleaning techniques can cause the ear canal to plug with water, making things worse and causing deafness.
A blood test will help your vet determine if this problem is caused by an infection, and if so, which antibiotic is best."

i hope your oinker gets better and hopefully, antibiotics will help if it's a simple ear infection that is causing loss of balance.

fyi, if you feel so inclined, you should post some pics of your piggy in the gardenweb pets forum. i do occasionally and the other folks there love seeing them. :)

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 8:20AM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

THS has a pets forum. I don't get the impression that this is a work animal or a food animal, perhaps you should ask there instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pets forum

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 6:48PM
More Discussions
Tethering steers
Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone has done this...
mersiepoo
mean Turkey
My tom hates my daughter and all little kids is there...
michelle_annk
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
Diatomaceous Earth Anyone?
Okay, so while studying advertising way back in college,...
lfrj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™