Hardware cloth quality

ramatsu(8a)July 16, 2014

I went to the hardware store yesterday to pick up some hardware cloth for lining the bottom of a compost bin and to create a dirt sifting screen. My old screen finally gave out.

What was being sold as hardware cloth looks much different and flimsier than what's in my old dirt screen, and I'm wondering if there is another "farm grade" version of it that's what I'm used to.

The old hardware cloth in my screen is woven - that is, each wire goes under a crossed wire, then over the next. And it is so heavily galvanized that the intersections look as if they are soldered, creating sort of round-cornered square shaped void. (Photo left)

The stuff I'm seeing in the store isn't interwoven, it simply has the horizontal wires all laying on the same side of the vertical wires, and doesn't have any of that plugged up, solder-like intersection look (Photo right)

Looking on line, it seems both are being made, but I can't tell what the differences are functionally. But the new stuff doesn't look like it would be durable enough for the kind of abuse my dirt/rock screen needs to take.

Anyone hardware cloth mavens out there? And if the old style stuff really is more rugged, where to get it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Skie_M(Zone 7 (Southwestern Oklahoma)

Take it back to hardware store ... Ask for "Stucco" type "expanded aluminum mesh". It should hold up better than that new wire mesh you have in hand .... Though Aluminum might not hold up to big rocks for very long, and might be a slightly finer mesh grade. It should run you around 10 dollars for a 4' x 8' piece. If properly secured, it should also hold your weight.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 11:35PM
More Discussions
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
Water Well Question
I have an old water well on my property. It was originally...
srks72
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
How do you deal with neighbors' dogs?
One of the neighbors' dogs killed my only 2 chickens...
cranberry15
Sponsored Products
Magma Low Voltage Matador Red Mini Pendant
$339.99 | Bellacor
Wildwood Lamps Brown Bull Wood Silver And Brown Distressed Sculpture
$89.70 | LuxeDecor
DreamLine Shower Enclosures Unidoor Plus 38 in. to 38-1/2 in. x 72 in. Hinge
Home Depot
Surya Large Half-Circle Teak Shower Seat
Signature Hardware
Tesla 2 LED Square Trim 26 Degree
Lightology