Huge Spaghetti Squash?

schreber_gaertnerJune 13, 2011

Hi, everyone. I planted around 6 kinds of squash this year, and what I thought was the spaghetti squash plant has absolutely taken over--growing 10 times as fast and large as the others. It has at least 15 fruits on dozens of long vines, and the largest fruit makes me wonder if it's truly a spag. It's not even close to ripe yet (still fully green), but it's about the size of a 10-pound watermelon, and still growing. Has anyone ever had spaghetti squash get this big, or did I maybe end up with some kind of hybrid, or a completely different kind of squash? (I'd post a picture, but have tried unsuccessfully before)

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mark_roeder(4B IA)

I never weighed one. I am guessing I have grown them close to 10 lbs. just knowing that my Hubbard squash grow to about 12 lbs., and spaghetti squash are not to much smaller, but yours is still growing.

You live in the land of milk 'n honey. Anything is possible.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 1:06AM
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

If you have several spaghetti squash plants and one is entirely out of proportion to the others, it's probably a cross with something else. These crosses don't usually end up being anything you really want.

Sue

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 2:24AM
schreber_gaertner

Now some of the others are getting almost as big. Here are some pictures. Do you think these are really spaghetti squash?

Below is the huge one. Starting to turn from light green to orange-ish.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 11:02PM
cindy_eatonton

Wow! I don't know what it is, but they look fabulous!

Cindy

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 9:18AM
toblerone515

Perhaps a spaghetti squash/ pumpkin hybrid (due to orange and accented ridges).
My biggest spaghetti squash are only softball size, but they are smooth and yellow.

Looks good though!

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 9:37AM
tracydr(9b)

Mine are oval and about 2-3 pounds, very bright yellowish oarge. The vines are pretty big but not quite as wild as my kabocha. I don't have ridges on mine like yours, which makes me think yours is crossed with something, possibly a zucchini cross? My costata romanesca zucchini is unbelievably huge.

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 2:08PM
schreber_gaertner

The mystery is sort of solved. We picked one and cooked it, and it had the consistency of spaghetti squash. Not the color we usually see, and not quite as sweet, but it might have been a little underripe. It was 9 pounds and wasn't even the biggest one! We've got at least 15 of these babies on the one plant! Might have stumbled on a very favorable unexpected cross!

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 11:18PM
potterhead2(z5b NY)

My spaghetti squash looks a lot like yours. Very similar color and texture on the outside.

I'm not sure the one you picked and ate was completely ripe, though. It looks a little greenish inside.

Then again, I never eat it right after picking, I always "cure" the ripe fruit at room temperature for a couple of weeks to improve the flavor.

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 1:29PM
schreber_gaertner

Well the plant was starting to die off, so I harvested all but one of them and will let them cure for a while. Here they are. The big one in the front was just under 12 pounds!

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 9:52PM
angelamh

Hey there! I too have mutant spaghetti squash on steroids, and mine look exactly like yours. Out of seven plants, six were mutants and one was normal. My guess is some sort of accidental cross. I'm in SoCal too, so maybe we got the same seeds?

I bought Burpee spaghetti squash seeds from the Target in Fontana, California earlier this year. The seeds were part of "Lot 2." Anyway, Burpee carries a guarantee, so you can get a free packet (or a refund) from them if you wanted one (if that's what you bought), but just wanted to mention that you might want to call whatever seed company you bought from (if these were purchased seeds) so they can identify the weird lot.

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 11:46PM
stuffradio

That's an interesting way of cooking and eating it. I don't know tons about cooking most squashes, but for Acorn and Butternut, I peel them, cube them, and roast them for 40 minutes at about 425 with olive oil and salt/pepper.

They're really good :)

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 12:18AM
mark_roeder(4B IA)

They resemble spaghetti squash, but
appear to be crossed with something else.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 2:09AM
homeend

it is a spaghetti squash.
As for size and weight can you beat 14 lbs

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 4:10AM
tracydr(9b)

Stuffradio-I too, eat my spaghetti squash by scraping it out of the shell with a fork. It makes strings, sort of like pasta. We like to serve it with marinara "spaghetti" style and use it as a low calorie, healthy pasta substitute. It always reminds me of a mix between a summer and winter squash, not as sweet as most winter squashes, not as bland as most summer squashes. It's one of few squashes my husband likes, although this year's bumper crop of zunchinni and patty pan which are so tasty compared to store bought. We have a lot of spaghetti squash on the one plant, as well, which haven't been harvested yet, and a few kabocha, my personal favorite, which he has never tasted.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 1:06PM
schreber_gaertner

The seed company was Pinetree, which has always been reliable. In fact, this is the second year I used seeds out of the same packet, and the plant last year had normal fruits. Probably just a fluke.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 5:55PM
pitcom(7a)

Your variety is called "Vegetable Spaghetti Squash". I grow the same exact variety. My plants have reached 30 feet long and I've harvested 2 dozen squash so far from 6 plants. Unfortunately they just got hit with squash vine borers, so i'm not sure i will be harvesting many more, even though i have about 2 dozen baby squash on the vines.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Boo hoo! Purple sprouting broccoli didn't survive the winter!
I was looking forward to early broccoli this year....
ffreidl z5a
Too many seeds, not enough light
Right now, have basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary,...
ilovecucumbers
Placement of soaker hoses
Hi everyone :) I just started a new veg patch. I made...
mystmaiden
Skirret and Sea Kale
Can someone tell me where I might buy Skirret and Sea...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
good weed fighters
Am looking for ideas to fight off weeds. Currently...
sepulvd
Sponsored Products
Justice Design Group GLA-5542W - Finials Outdoor - Finials Curved Wall Sconce (O
$320.00 | Hayneedle
Rachael Ray Hard Enamel Cookware 8-quart Covered Pasta Etc. Pot,Red 2-tone
Overstock.com
Justice Design Group PNA-5550 - Clips Clips Square Wall Sconce (ADA) - Polished
$228.00 | Hayneedle
Justice Design Group ALR-8706 - Aero 6 Light Bath Bar - Oval Shade - Polished Ch
$590.00 | Hayneedle
Papago Microphones Sports Watch with Monitor in Yellow GLWHBUS
Home Depot
Accent Rug: Larvik Robins Egg Blue 2' x 2' 9"
$58.97 | Home Depot
Justice Design Group POR-8524 - Tradition 4 Light Bath Bar - Round Flared Shade
$398.00 | Hayneedle
Justice Design Group ALR-8572 - Victoria 2 Light Bath Bar - Cylinder with Flat R
$290.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™