Let mom be mom?

mailman22(6)August 7, 2008

Ok, my hens have hatched out 9 of 11 guinea eggs I placed under them. One of the moms have come down from the nest boxes. The other 3 are still up and have been for 3 days. I am concerned that the keets will not get water in time. I have been placing food in the boxes. Should I take the keets out and place them on floor of coop or just let the moms do what they are doing? I am concerned that there will be confusion if I do this and the safety of the keets will be in jeopardy. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mailman22(6)

Heres a pic of one of the moms. She has 4 under her.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 9:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
simpleme

If they still have unhatched eggs after 3 days of the others hatching they most likely won't hatch. And the hen will sit the nest until the unhatchable eggs are taken from her.

How many hens do you have sitting?

Guinea keets are a bit fragile for hens to be fighing over. I'd divide the hatchlings and seperate the hens and take them off the nest. Three days of hatching is getting close to time they need to eat and drink...

They may be sticking to the nest in defense of loosing their family to another hen who wants them all. Give them all a safe, seperate place to raise them and they'll get on with growing their family.....

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 8:17PM
More Discussions
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Why Does A Rooster Crow So Much?
What are they crowing About?He has his women.I was...
bulldinkie
Turkeys: how do you know if you have a female turkey?
We have one "pet" turkey, most likely a Broad...
undercover_owl
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™