Those of you that sell eggs....

dirtgirldiana1(5)August 27, 2009

What kind of set up do you have? Do you just sell to friends and co-worker? Or, do you have a sign in your yard and sell from your home?

I'm trying to figure out what will work for me. DH sells a couple dozen a week at work. I'm getting about 20 eggs a day. I'm not home during the day to sell eggs.(babysit gk)There is a church right next door and I'm thinking about putting out a sign on Sunday offering eggs for sale.

At one time a farmer around me was selling eggs. He build a very small building..the size of a refrigerator snd the fridge was inside. It was all based on an honor system. You'd just open the fridge get your eggs and put the $2.00 in the butter compartment. Have any of you tried an honor system and does it work? What works for you?

Thanks,

Diana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nhsuzanne(z5 SW-NH)

I sell eggs to friends and coo-workers. If I had more to sell I would place an ad down at the local feed shop with my phone number. Then when you get the call you can arrange to have a person come to your home to pick up the eggs when convenient for you and them.

For so many years folks have done the honor system. Just recently someone stole the money can from an old couple who sells vegetables from their home garage! Now they have a security camera. It's such a shame!

Bookmark   August 27, 2009 at 11:18AM
marlingardener

I sell eggs to neighbors and folks that I know. When they want eggs they just call me and ask if I have extra, and if so they pick them up. The ad at the feed store or perhaps a local hardware store with your phone number is a good idea. That way you won't have people knocking at your door at all hours.
I'd never do the "honor system". Too many folks without honor!

Bookmark   August 27, 2009 at 11:52AM
miscindy(5 SW MI)

In my area, people advertise their eggs on Craigslist with a phone number.

Bookmark   August 28, 2009 at 9:36PM
cpp6318

My wife and I ran a produce stand that sold eggs, honey, cut flowers, and fruit/veggies for three years on the honor system. We NEVER had a single problem.
We once had a guy leave an IOU for five dollars. One week later he walked out from town(three miles) and came and found my wife to apologize for not coming sooner. He had run out of gas and rather than put the money in his tank he waited for good weather and walked to our place to pay us.
Sometimes to get the best out of people you have to give them a chance to be good.

Bookmark   August 29, 2009 at 6:04PM
yakimadn

Some folks here had a Upick flower and pumpkin patch with a can on a post with no problem for years. Decided to upgrade and put a 55 gallon drum filled with concrete w/ a steel post/locking box in it. About thesecond night it was out, someone stole the whole thing..........

You'll just have to feel what's right for you...

Dave

Bookmark   September 1, 2009 at 11:18AM
organic_suzie

I sell eggs and I post an ad in the local newspaper and leave flyers at the feed store. Sometimes my hens can't lay enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chickenhousesplus.com

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
Tethering steers
Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone has done this...
mersiepoo
Water Well Question
I have an old water well on my property. It was originally...
srks72
Duck hiding/disappeared
I have 2 drakes and 2 females (pekin and mallard) ...
meredithmanning2
Sponsored Products
Gray Abstract Rug 6' x 9' - GRAY
$1,249.00 | Horchow
Grenada Flush Wall Sconce
$99.99 | Bellacor
5 Lights Happy Bees Theme Chandelier for Children's Room
ParrotUncle
Align 4 Piece Upholstered Sectional Sofa in Charcoal
$1,159.00 | LexMod
Fairmont Designs Rustic Chic 26" Vanity & Sink Set - Weathered Oak
Modern Bathroom
Campania International Nobility Oriental Woman Cast Stone Garden Statue - OR-116
$469.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™