ducks are dying

true_blue(z6MO)August 9, 2011

Got a bunch of ducklings in June - a mix of ducks and Muskovies - and they all did fine as ducklings growing up. While I had them penned up while they were little, I fed them a mix of 24% protein pellet and rolled barley with some brewers yeast mixed in and they seemed to thrive on it. They've been out and about now - out of their cage - and in the pond, orchard, and generally all over the backyard area for about a month. Now, all of a sudden, we've been loosing about a duck a day. First they get wobbly on their feet and can't keep up with the others.

I had been told that the reason ducks get this is because they don't get enough B vitamins, which they need much more of than other poultry. That's why they were getting the brewers yeast in their food when young. So when they would get wobbly, we'd bring them into the cage and feed them with brewers yeast 'spiked' food. Yesterday's duck died within an hour of being fed, and it wasn't as bad off as some of the others! I just don't get it! Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bulldinkie(pa)

Is there wet moldy food laying around could be botulism.also maybe too much protein it causes ligament problems in thier legs.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
Protecting chickens from hawks
Curious how you're protecting chickens/ducks from hawks,...
zootjs
How cold is too cold for eggs to be viable?
My geese have been laying, I'm letting them hatch their...
saffron_parasol
mean Turkey
My tom hates my daughter and all little kids is there...
michelle_annk
Duck hiding/disappeared
I have 2 drakes and 2 females (pekin and mallard) ...
meredithmanning2
Diatomaceous Earth Anyone?
Okay, so while studying advertising way back in college,...
lfrj
Sponsored Products
Baby/ Toddler 4-piece Flatware Set
Overstock.com
Laura Ashley Lamp Shades Lucille 10.5 in. Duck Egg Barrel Shade Blue SLB36110
$24.85 | Home Depot
Cotton Duck Shower Curtain - White
Signature Hardware
Hotel Madison 300 Thread Count 12-inch Box Down Comforter
Overstock.com
Valerie Black 17-Inch Toss Pillow
$24.95 | Bellacor