No Bend-over Cucumber Planter

seramasAugust 4, 2009

An inexpensive way to grow/weed/harvest cucumbers without bending-over.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cucumber Planter

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marlingardener

Seramas,
Brilliant! I spent a good part of my spring hunting cucumbers in the mess/mass of vines. This is a wonderful idea, and thanks for sharing. I have the feeling next spring is going to be easier on my back!

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 3:52PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

I can't get youtube on the computer I'm on now, but I am assuming that this is on a scale where it would be appreciated by the folks in Vegetable Gardening and especially the folks over in Accessible Gardening although the latter is a little slow, probably because so few are actually talking about the subject.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 4:59PM
seramas

Last year I put the pots on posts. The only problem with that is you can't easily move them into the greenhouse when it gets cold in the fall. Plan on putting wheels on them so they easily move to mow or put into greenhouse. Going to make some to grow peas in.

With the addition of bees this year the garden is producing 3-4 time more than needed for the year to come and have started to trade for produce that we're not growing. Next year the plan is to double garden size to grow every thing we eat--with a few exceptions.

Judy and I today cut, cleaned, buttered and stuffed with hot sausage 34 butter cup squash. Fully cooked them and when cooled placed in zip-lock vacuum bags to store in freezer. Tomorrow it will be 12 large heads of cabbage and 5 gallon bucket of peppers, chopped, vacuum bag for freezing.

Tomatoes are starting to come on, the bush beans are working over time. Yesterday processed a 5 gallons bucket of beans--steamed, vacuum bagged and froze 'em.

My wife is getting hooked on growing what we eat. She is talking about quiting work so she can learn how to grow and prepare them for storage.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 6:51PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

If you are looking to reduce the sausage intake (and that's a big if) Rice and beans will work as an extender in the freezer. I prefer a nutty rice like Lundberg medium grain brown rice and a vaguely smokey bean like Jacob's cattle.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 9:02PM
More Discussions
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
Giardia from ducks and chickens?
I really hope this topic hasn't been posted numerous...
chickenmama1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™