Zoning for chickens?

heavenlyfarm(zone 6b)August 29, 2010

Hi,

Its been quite along time since I've been on here. I've just been busy with work and I'm desperately saving to get a farm and move out of my parents home. Unfortunately I have quite a way to go...but anyways, we live in a pretty country area and we dont live in the city. I was wondering if it's possible to maybe have chickens? If I'd fence them in? Ive heard most zoning is against having roosters but I only want hens and a few. Does anyone know how to check if your zoning permits it? If not I guess it'll have to wait till I get the small farm I want but it was just a thought I've been having so I thought I'd ask.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

Many communities have their zoning laws on-line. You need to look up what your zone is, and then simply check the zoning regulations. They will say whether livestock is permitted or not.

If it is not on-line, just call the building permit people and they can tell you what your zone is and what the regulations are.

Also, it depends upon the community and the neighbors. If no one complains, you can get away with some hens even if you aren't zoned for it.

Cows aren't allowed where I am, but several of my neighbors have cattle and have had them for several years. Nobody complains.

If you are going to sneak chickens in, get a quiet breed and hens only. Keep the chicken housing very clean so you don't produce flies or smells. Don't try sneaking in hens if you've got a control freak neighbor or a feud with one of the neighbors.

Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 6:01PM
greendesert

zoning - shmoning, people need to learn to mind their own business. I say do it. I have 8 hens (4 barred rock, 4 Ameraucana) and they're pretty quiet. You don't have to get that many, you can always go with only 2 or something like that. I keep mine in an aviary about 12x6 ft and most of the day they barely make any noise. They're so nice to have around. And yeah you don't need roosters. They're nice, but they will make a LOT of noise.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 5:38PM
heavenlyfarm(zone 6b)

greendesert, that's the ones I was thinking of getting! well barred rock. I did want Ameraucanas cuz those caught my eye awhile ago but Ive heard barred rock hens are more docile and calm. My friend keeps white leghorns and Rhode Island reds.

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 9:34PM
greendesert

Ameraucanas are quite docile as well. I have friends that have some and I took care of theirs for a few weeks and I would go inside their run, and sit down, and one of them would hop right in my lap and lay down practically asking to be petted. incredibly friendly. In my case though, I find that my barred rocks are a little bit more docile for some reason. Leghorns are out of the question for me, I heard they tend to be noisy and nervous. Not something I want my neighbors to deal with in my current setting.

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
Diatomaceous Earth Anyone?
Okay, so while studying advertising way back in college,...
lfrj
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
Need help with a ground cover grass that is fast growing
I'm looking for some input on what kind of wild grass...
broguearcher
Sponsored Products
Moooi | Big Ben
YLighting
Necessories Colonial Outdoor Fireplace - 4200138
Hayneedle
Sunset Trading Comfort Zone Reclining Chair - Steel Gray - SU-KV110-105
$599.00 | Hayneedle
KOHLER Jetted Bathtubs Underscore 6 ft. Air Bath Tub in Thunder Grey
Home Depot
KOHLER Bathtubs Underscore 5 ft. Right Drain Bathtub in Almond brown
Home Depot