mite question - help

flowersnhens(Maine 4)August 1, 2009

Okay, earlier I had posted about losing some chickens. So, I figured it was something they were either eating outside,, or some sort of illness they were passing around. I also have noticed this past week that there are mites in the coop, or atleast that is what I thought.

SO: I used a fogger in the chicken coop today after I cleaned all of the bedding out and disposed of it. I also checked my hens and the ones I checked have NO MITES on them. I read that there are mites that will only feed at night and that during the day the mights will not be seen on the chicken. SO, if this is what is happening, do you suppose the fogger I used will take care of the mites that are in there waiting to attack the hens when they are roosting??? The fogger I used said after 4 hours to air the building out and 30 minutes later you can enter the building again. So, do you think this is okay?? I didn't know what else to do,,,I just want the disgusting bugs gone. Also, waterers and feeders were disinfected with bleach as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

What type of fogger did you use and what chemicals?

I HATE finding evidence of mites/worms on my birds, it creeps me out. :( In my opinion it is IMPERATIVE to not only spray/dust the birds, but to also dose them with an Invermectin-based paste wormer, both orally AND using a dab rubbed in each wingpit. I got this treatment procedure of treating orally and via the birds exterior straight from my vet, and it's always worked quickly, without fail, for years. That way they are fully covered and the mites will be GONE, quickly! Here's what I do for both, scroll down to 'Dusting/Worming' and also the 'Mites' section:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHealth.htm

Also, here is how I 'Clean/Sanitize' on this page:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickCoop.htm

I love the little steamer, it just leaves no doubt that the little buggers are DEAD. :) I'm also in the process of trying out using Oxine AH to both fog the birds and coop.

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 10:52PM
johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)

How long do you withhold the eggs when you use Ivermectin before you can eat them?

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My place: Busy Solitude Farm

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 9:38AM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

johanna, two weeks on the eggs.

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 4:50AM
More Discussions
Rat proof chicken feeder
Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the...
johnmac09
How do you deal with neighbors' dogs?
One of the neighbors' dogs killed my only 2 chickens...
cranberry15
looking for farm software
Hi folks, new here. Well kinda, it's been years anyway. Looking...
arkygirl
Turkeys: how do you know if you have a female turkey?
We have one "pet" turkey, most likely a Broad...
undercover_owl
Giardia from ducks and chickens?
I really hope this topic hasn't been posted numerous...
chickenmama1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™