Sevin Dust and EGGS

flowersnhens(Maine 4)August 13, 2009

HI there,,well, I think our mite problem is solved. I have not lost any chickens,,and I am not seeing any mites on anyone, and when I go into the barn, I leave WITHOUT the damn things on me.!!.

My question: Where I have sprinkled sevin dust on the floor of the coop, UNDER the new shavings, I am afraid the chickens might be ingesting it somehow when they scratch around and peck at the floor....SO, should we not be eating eggs right now?? and should I just clean everthing out of there again, to get rid of the Sevin dust and clean shavings that I just put down last week?? I am sure it is not good for them to ingest this stuff either. I didn't put tons of it down,,I just sprinkled a bit here and there. Let me know

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

I'd leave it where it is. Stirring it up again would be the worst thing you could do, because you and they would be breathing it, and you'll never get all of it anyway. Any amount they might ingest is going to be small, unless you laid it down extremely heavily. I'd say let it continue to do it's job down there under the shavings. :)

I'd just wait two weeks from the date you dusted them before eating eggs again. Glad you got a handle on the mites!

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   August 15, 2009 at 1:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pris(8B TX)

Here's a link to a discussion on another forum about the pros & cons of sevin dust. I was particularly interested in the connection to the decline in bee population. I use beneficial nematodes and they seem to be quite effective for most garden pests but you might try one of the other methods for mites on your chickens.

Here is a link that might be useful: sevin dust discussion

Bookmark   August 15, 2009 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
Protecting chickens from hawks
Curious how you're protecting chickens/ducks from hawks,...
zootjs
old water well question...
There is an old well on our farm that used to be run...
lesli8
Duck hiding/disappeared
I have 2 drakes and 2 females (pekin and mallard) ...
meredithmanning2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™