Eradicate Goat Weed, When and With What?

ann_tx8(z8/East Texas)August 31, 2012

Goat Weed has taken over our horse pasture. It's horrible. I don't know if this stuff is an annual or perennial, or how it spreads. Am wondering if it is too late to spray it now (Sept. 1) to be time- and cost- effective? We sometimes get a light frost in October. Am wondering if it dies off for the season when it frosts. Usually don't get a freeze 'til mid-December, though our weather has been erratic to the extreme the past few years here in Zone 8a/7b East Texas.

If it is advised to go ahead now and spray, can horses stay in the pasture, and if not, when can they go back in? Also, what herbicides are recommended?

Also, when is best time to spray for this stuff? Is early spring recommended or should we wait for it to show itself?

Sincere thanks for any help.

Ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Contact your county's Extension Service office to obtain info that's appropriate & safe for pastures with livestock.

Locate your office with this link
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 11:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
insteng

It will die back in the winter and come back in the spring. I don't run horses in my pasture but I have cattle. I have the same problem as you had. It was about 4 feet tall when I bought my property. This spring I plan on spraying the pasture with Grazon and fertilize it at the same time. It should keep the goat week under control. Also if it is mowed regulary it will keep it from getting established.

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 6:07PM
More Discussions
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
How do you deal with neighbors' dogs?
One of the neighbors' dogs killed my only 2 chickens...
cranberry15
raising baby ducks to release in private pond
We have a 2 acre pond next to a small cabin on 130...
anne2006
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™