Recycling dead refrigerator

blueberrier1August 31, 2007

Compressor blown in 20 yr old Amana frig. Was the downstairs 'extra' one I used to air chill/age chickens before freezing. Anyone with suggestions on how I can use it for something in the barn?

Will have to see about getting the gases emptied and would take out the compressor.

If I take it to the landfill, I will take out the shelves , shelf standards and the bins for use in prepping foods for the freezer.

cella jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
backlanelady(6oh)

You might want to use it like some people use old chest freezers...as a food storage bin for you chicken feed.

Bookmark   August 31, 2007 at 11:28PM
Maggie_J(z5 Ontario)

Another idea is to make a smoker out of it. Should be easy to google plans... I know a lot of people recycle old fridges this way.

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 12:49PM
littlereo(Conklin Mi.)

Dig a hole and put it in it, and make a worm bed so when you want to go fish, open the door get the worms off you go fishing.
Sandie

Bookmark   September 9, 2007 at 12:35AM
giventake(9)

If you make a 'smoker" out of it be sure to google for instructions, a fridege is built out of alot of toxic materials "NOT " harmful for it's intended use, but when you alter it with heat you could open up bad stuff,

Bookmark   September 9, 2007 at 10:15PM
blueberrier1

Thanks for comments. Read a few sites that said smoker conversion is not suggested at all with current appliances.

Like the worm bed idea, but would have to pile dirt around the frig as soil here has too many hidden treasures...ie small to huge rocks.

Now looking at stripping out those shelves and brackets and putting on the wall near my recycled commercial sink. Will hold the bins as well.

Need to check with the landfill folks to see if they will remove the gas and then return the 'box' to me for trip back home. Of course, need a trailer for this. All that storage in a neat box! Too good to toss. Seems like all the weight is the compressor/motor.
cj

Bookmark   September 11, 2007 at 11:05AM
hotzcatz(Hamakua, Hawaii)

Some folks use them as storage cabinets for things like paint and such. Other folks like to take off the doors, lay them flat and fill them with dirt to make raised garden beds out of them. Might be nice for a small herb garden.

We have a still workable gas refrigerator which we use to store pans in until we get around to swapping it out for some solar panels or something else.

I like the refrigerator racks and the crisper bins to use in the garage for storage shelves and to make storage drawers out of. One of the chicken coops has a floor made of wire racks which the chickens seem to like to walk on much better than chicken wire.

Bookmark   September 13, 2007 at 3:36AM
runningtrails

Make a garden pond!! Buried or raised

Bookmark   September 13, 2007 at 4:39AM
More Discussions
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
How do you deal with neighbors' dogs?
One of the neighbors' dogs killed my only 2 chickens...
cranberry15
Tethering steers
Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone has done this...
mersiepoo
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Sponsored Products
Cherner Chair Company | Cherner Task Chair with Arms and Seat Pad
YLiving.com
Spikotic Mini Pendant by Varaluz
$189.00 | Lumens
Varaluz | Encaged Mini Pendant Light
$169.00 | YLighting
Miami Marlins Mini Table
$12.99 | zulily
Roddy Leather Chair - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture