Cardboard 'mulch'

calik8(sunset18)June 18, 2011

I have read here that some people use cardboard for mulch. They say worms love it, and I really like worms...so why not?

Do I tear it up and mix it in with the top layer, or just lie it over the soil between the veggies?

If I just lay it out, how do I water?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeanwedding(6 ky)

I laid down my cardboard and mulched over it. Got most of my cardboard from county public recycling bin at local firehouse .Got most of my mulch free. Then started buying the "broken bags" HALF price from big box store....
Seems like stuff did better than have the landscape fabric with mulch....
Just my chiming in....
jean

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 4:13PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

I lay it down and load on compost or wood chips ... Once it gets wet the worms start feeding on it.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 5:15PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

I use it UNDER new beds, to smother, then I use it again to mulch but put straw over it. One thing I did learn was to use a single layer (so if you have extra thick cardboard, wet it and seperate it: I had extra heavy shipping boxes that were super thick) and to tear it into smaller pieces. The only time I ever use large sheets of the stuff is when I finish preparing a planting area that won't be planted for quite some time.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 5:21PM
nchomemaker(7)

Depends on how fussy you are. I used to shovel dirt over it almost completely and/or add mulch on top. Now I'm dealing with health problems and don't have that energy. So I simply flatten it, lay it down between rows or plants and weigh it down with bricks or stones. After a good rain, it sort of just molds itself to the earth. No it doesn't get moldy, it just blends in. Water seeps right through it. If you want, you can give it a good soaking right after you lay it down or else just wait for rain. I have very few weeds in the garden. I overlap the peices by an inch or so and very few weeds are able to come up, and they are only around the edges where the cardboard ends.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 2:56PM
Trishcuit

We use cardboard boxes, flattened out, up at our community garden just to cover for the walkways as a weed suppressant. It ain't pretty but it works and it's natural.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
Walnut mulch for raised vegetable garden pathways
Just had a walnut stump ground down. Is it safe to...
burtman23
A veggie garden for chickens
We are planning on having chickens this coming spring....
beesneeds
Does Vgkg still post here?
I would've posted on Conversations, but doesn't look...
natal
WHO calls Roundup a probable carcinogen
Very interesting... I tend to remain neutral towards...
Peter (6b SE NY)
Asparagus help
Hello All, I'm going to start an Asparagus patch this...
nick0001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™