eggplant male / female flowers ?

greenthumbsjJune 17, 2008

I have about a dozen of the purple Japanese variety(forgot the name). My plants look healthy and are around 12" tall. There are 3 small eggplants about the size of a quarter and doing fine. However, I noticed in some plants there are cluster of flower buds in one stem - they are much smaller and are mostly a group of 3 in one stem. I don't recall seeing more than one eggplant hanging off of a single stem. Are these male flowers or flowers that won't produce ? Should I clip them ?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wild_forager

Sometimes they just form flowers in clusters. It's normal, not a male/female difference. Usually eggplants will form a single flower, or a cluster of up to 8, depending on the variety.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 2:43PM
opal52(z7b GA)

I'm growing Rosa Bianca Eggplant and it is same as you describe. Single large blossoms on a strong stem, and some clusters of three smaller blossoms on small stems away from the main stalk. Now I thought the larger blossoms were female, and that the cluster of smaller blossoms were male. And I thought the male flowers were necessary to pollinate the females. The bees are visiting the eggplants now so I don't worry, but early on I hand pollinated some of the blossoms, or at least I thought I did. Anyway, the larger blossoms I thought I pollinated have medium size eggplants now. I did notice something else interesting. When I brushed the female plants, I could see a little puff of what looked like very fine powder. (I'm not making this up...)

Hope someone can tell me if what I did was unnecessary. Do eggplants not require male/female blossoms for pollination?

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 4:05PM
farmerdilla

Eggplants are like tomatoes self-fertile. Flowers have both male and female parts. Bees when plentiful will work the flowers, but the plants don't need them.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 6:31PM
opal52(z7b GA)

Farmerdilla, thanks for the info. I feel a little silly now, but apparently I didn't harm the early blossoms.

Greenthumbsj, It was not my intention to hijack this thread. I apologize for jumping in.

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 11:25AM
greenthumbsj

opal52, no worries. I learned more because of your input. I am all for more input.

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow in organic vegetables in coco coir ans spray...
little sur farm
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™