My chicken update, new views and tasty eggs!

gardengalrn(5KS)August 15, 2009

Well, I've only had chickens for a few years and wouldn't be without them now. I would never eat a store-bought egg again! I added to my flock this spring and have suffered some losses here and there. I have always said that I would never free-range my birds due to the chance of tragedy but low and behold...I am now free-ranging in the late afternoon when I am here to keep an eye on things. I keep them penned in the morning so they will lay their eggs where they are supposed to but they look forward to me letting them out in the afternoon. My eggs have never been so delicious and the yolks so orange. Eating the bugs and grass really has agreed with them. They still get all my kitchen scraps and love them.

I don't suppose I will be so willing to let them out as the weather turns and predators get more courageous and hungry. I guess I have decided it is worth the risk right now, to have such happy hens and wonderful eggs. Does that sound awful? I'm getting about 18-24 eggs daily and even the smaller pullet eggs are wonderful, unlike last year. Lori

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I let my girls out every afternoon while I garden. It does make a difference in the taste, doesn't it?

Bookmark   August 17, 2009 at 2:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gcmastiffs(z10 Florida)

I let my flock out every afternoon too. If I let them out in the morning, they are too lazy to walk all the way back to the coop, and I'll find eggs in my big plant pots on the patio(G).

Hens are amazing hunters! I always laugh when they zigzag trying to capture butterflies, and cringe when they catch lizards, small snakes and frogs. If they can swallow it, they do! The only things mine don't like are sweets, such as donuts or cake leftover from work. They get lots of healthy leftovers, and we always get a "chicken bag" when we eat out. They come running when they see my van(G).

The eggs are superb! Grocery store ones look so anaemic and runny. Yuck!

Lisa

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
cattle
I finally found and bought 2 head of cattle just before...
trisha_51
looking for farm software
Hi folks, new here. Well kinda, it's been years anyway. Looking...
arkygirl
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
Giardia from ducks and chickens?
I really hope this topic hasn't been posted numerous...
chickenmama1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™