Will they hurt her??????

jiggreen(zone 6b, carlisle PA)September 3, 2011

I have 3 ducks, one male Pekin and 2 Fawn and White Indian Runners... a male/female pair. This morning as I was filling up my poultry waterers, I noticed my two male ducks ganging up on my one female duck. They were all 3 in the duckie pool and the enormous Pekin was biting the back of my female's neck... AND holding her head under water. While this was going on, his buddy, the male Indian Runner was trying to "have his way" with the poor female. I was fearful they would drown her! I know I need to get a female Pekin for the big guy, but our farm store sells the ducklings unsexed...and I haven't been able to locate anyone that is selling a mature female Pekin duck. In the meantime, until I can locate more females... do I need to worry about her?

Here is a link that might be useful: Poor duckie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendasue(6)

Yes, you need to worry about her. Male ducks routinely group "rape" the female ducks. Often they drown them if water is around, perhaps give them just an inch or 2 of water might help.

Remove all but 1 male. I've lost countless females every year due to the males drowning them in our pond. It is unfortunate but it is the way of ducks.

Hopefully nothing will happen to your female, but at least you are now aware. Getting another female will not stop the 2 ganging up on 1, they will just pick 1 or the other.

Brendasue

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 11:48AM
jiggreen(zone 6b, carlisle PA)

Thanks brendasue! I was so shocked this morning, it seemed so brutal and it sure did seem like they were working together... I thought to myself ... "noooo.... it just SEEMS that way".... :( poor girl duckie, I'm gonna take extra special care of her.

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 9:35PM
justplaincountry

Have had ducks all my life and never allow more than one drake with 10 hens. If they don't drown her in the mass attack they will break or injure her legs and she'll be unable to walk or get away from them.

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 7:42PM
dreamgarden(z6)

"Remove all but 1 male. I've lost countless females every year due to the males drowning them in our pond. It is unfortunate but it is the way of ducks."

Lost COUNTLESS females each year?

How many years did it take before you woke up to this obvious carnage?

I don't understand people that can observe obvious horrific abuse and NOT have a clue if they should remove the party being murdered.....

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 10:59AM
More Discussions
Water Well Question
I have an old water well on my property. It was originally...
srks72
Protecting chickens from hawks
Curious how you're protecting chickens/ducks from hawks,...
zootjs
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
Tethering steers
Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone has done this...
mersiepoo
First time hatching Duck eggs!!
Hello-- This is my first time hatching duck eggs. I...
christie71
Sponsored Products
Succulent Print
$26.99 | Dot & Bo
Wood Swing Arm Lighting with White Fabric Shade
ParrotUncle
IK Winema Linen Pillow w/ Down Fill
$74.95 | Bellacor
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs Candice Olson Oyster Gray 9 ft. x 13
Home Depot
King Pink Linen Sham Plain
$105.00 | Horchow