Beggar's Lice: Hedge Parsley (Torilis arvensis). Help!

blackie1956September 24, 2011

We have quite a few acres of oak savannah, and this weed, with it tiny little burrs that stick in your socks, your dog's coat, etc, is a pain in the butt and needs to be eradicated. We would appreciate any advice from those who may have experience with this weed. There is far to much of it to pull out of the ground (plus, it is hard to see), and it is intermixed with wild grasses. The land is without irrigation. Please let me know your thoughts. Our goal is to have 5 acres surrounding our home that is free of this pesky weed.

Options I can think of:

1. Massive spraying: would wipe out everything, but new weeds would be able to come in. Plus...very costly to buy that much Round-Up.

2. Plow or till the land, and over-seed it with a dry land pasture mix, hoping that the new grasses would crowd out the weed.

3. Just mow it down before it goes to seed each year. The only problem with this is that you may have to mow it (brush hog) it more than once. Tractor work can be costly.

4. Combinations of the above.

5. Will goats eat this stuff? One forum I went to implied that they do not eat it--which seems dubious given the fact that goats will eat just about anything, including star thistle.

Help?

Thanks for reading!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

This is simazine for germination control of Beggar weeds spray cover spray before comes up in spring 2 weeks before. 4 quarts per acre give good control for about 4 months then do it again. A pint roundup to acre with crop oil give control young weeds not necessary to spray large amount after 4 months you may want do pint roundup again. In 3 years control should be good color of grass loose some green color but kill young weeds some grass thin out but recover. ATV boom sprayer all needed to get total broadcast spray. Your mowed area easier to mow less work on mower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beggar weeds

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 3:01PM
More Discussions
raising baby ducks to release in private pond
We have a 2 acre pond next to a small cabin on 130...
anne2006
ducks mating with chickens???
I went to our local co-op today to gather some supplies...
thinknpink
How do you deal with neighbors' dogs?
One of the neighbors' dogs killed my only 2 chickens...
cranberry15
old water well question...
There is an old well on our farm that used to be run...
lesli8
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™