My bearded hen has lost her beard.

mbetts(5)September 1, 2008

She's a 2-year-old bearded Polish hen. She moulted last fall, after which the feathers grew back as expected. Then this spring she lost just her beard. Her other feathers are staying put. I keep expecting her beard to grow back in, but it hasn't. I don't even see any feather sprouts.

No one pecks at her; in fact she is the boss chicken. She seems perfectly healthy other than her missing beard feathers.

I have one other bearded Polish and her beard is fine (although she started another moult a couple of weeks ago.)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be the problem, and what I might do about it?

Thanks!

mbetts

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

I have one little banty hen who has taken it upon herself to preen the other chickens' facial feathers, sometimes to the point of pulling them out! Weirdly enough, the other chickens stand there and zone out, enjoying this attention. I've even seen them standing there waiting their turn, the little nutjobs. The preening hen never draws blood or pecks facial skin. Any chance you've got an over-enthusiastic face preener in your flock?

I'd never had a hen do this before, and it's just our one little hen who does it.

I'd also check your food & water dishes--is she by chance just keeping the feathers worn down? Is there enough room in the dishes for her to get her head in there? We recently had to build a bigger feeder for our big chickens, my big rooster was having trouble fitting his head & comb in the standard feeder.

I'd say take a chair out and spend some time watching her at different times, and if something odd is happening, you should spot it.

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
First time hatching Duck eggs!!
Hello-- This is my first time hatching duck eggs. I...
christie71
ducks mating with chickens???
I went to our local co-op today to gather some supplies...
thinknpink
Water Well Question
I have an old water well on my property. It was originally...
srks72
Diatomaceous Earth Anyone?
Okay, so while studying advertising way back in college,...
lfrj
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™