How grow Zucchini plus container Harvest

djkj(9b)June 18, 2014

A video describing how to harvest zucchini. I grow almost all my zucchinis in containers and they do great. Do you prefer to grow zucchini in containers or on the ground?

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp8Hnall0aU

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow Zucchini

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loribee2(CA 9)

I prefer growing everything in the ground as I'm lazy and don't like to water and fertilize often. Containers require much more attention, though I like the versatility they offer.

I am actually quite envious of folks who can successfully grow in containers.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 2:57PM
djkj(9b)

Interesting loribee :) I have grown mostly in containers and I think the key is to have wide enough containers. Feeding is definitely much more of a chore but slow release fertilizers work very well for containers.

But yes plants do thrive much better on raised bed/ground. So for the people who have the space, its a better choice!

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 12:50PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Like Lori I much prefer in ground. I do both but the containers are more work and generally less productive than the same plant grown in ground.

And I have never found slow release fertilizers to work all that well in containers. They can result in very inconsistent nutrient levels in many cases as they are easily affected by weather, watering regimens, container size, potting mix used, etc. Too many variables that can't be well-controlled. Liquid supplements work much better in my opinion as they are much easier to control and maintain consistent levels with.

Dave

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 1:56PM
djkj(9b)

Thanks for the tip Dave. Yes I do use water soluble fertilizers when I want a quick effect. It does work very well!

I guess Containers are a compromise for those of us who don't have a lot of real estate. But as we learn the secrets of growing better and better in containers, it should give us a decent harvest.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 3:53PM
zeuspaul(9b SoCal)

I have plenty of real estate and have given up trying to grow zucchini in the ground. If the squirrels don't eat all the leaves the plant wilts mid day. I get good harvests in containers.

Zeuspaul

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 9:06PM
djkj(9b)

zeuspaul - Yes, I agree that the veggies are much safer from critters in containers. Chipmunks/Squirrels are one of the biggest menaces but I also find slugs chewing down plants on the ground much more than they do to the plants plants I have in containers.

This season, I also have zucchini growing in the ground and its not doing as well as the ones in container.

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 5:05PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

Mine are in ground. Ummmmmm anyone want some zucchini????? Please????????
Since I retired last year I have very few people to give it to! I only have 1 each of zuk and crookneck! I probably got a half dozen of each this week! Nancy

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 8:42PM
loribee2(CA 9)

Nancy, the Redwood Empire Food Bank up in Santa Rosa accepts produce from home gardeners. And it's a tax write off!

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 11:41PM
djkj(9b)

nancyjane_gardener - Nice to know you are having a good harvest!

loribee2 - Thanks for the info, that is great to know.

Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 3:31PM
More Discussions
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™