sick peachick?

sweetgreen(z5 MI)September 8, 2008

I'm hatching out peafowl chicks for my mother who is on vacation. So this is a first for me. I've hatched chickens and guineas for year, but never peas. Anyway, the one that hatched just two days ago is worrying me. It had a bad spraddle leg till I changed the papertowel out for nubby shelf liner stuff - the leg was 100% better after that. The poor thing hadn't been able to get up on its feet and move around prior to that.

Well, now that it's up, twice I've seen it poo and it was the weirdest I've ever seen come out of a bird. It was a clear fluid - almost like water, and at least a tablespoon or more of it at a time. The little chick made a sound the second time I saw it happen and it acted like it was painful. This little chick sleeps almost all the time. I know it's only two days old, but the poo thing worries me.

In addition to whatever may be wrong inside this baby, one of its eyes is shut all the time. I don't know if that has just happened, or I never noticed until now (as it sleeps all the time). The eye isn't gunky.

Any ideas? or know of a place on the web that is more peafowl related? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mersiepoo(6)

I found a website that might be of help, if you go to the very bottom there are a bunch of links. Hope it helps and the little one recovers, if he/she is sick.

http://www.boxess.com/pbaby.htm

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 5:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

The United Peafowl Association's site is here:

http://www.peafowl.org/

Good for you for taking steps to give it's new little legs the traction it needed!

Keep the baby warm & quiet, and make sure it's eating and drinking normally, meanwhile ask the folks at the UPA if they can help more. If it develops more symptoms, please update here, maybe we can help more.

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Turkeys: how do you know if you have a female turkey?
We have one "pet" turkey, most likely a Broad...
undercover_owl
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
looking for farm software
Hi folks, new here. Well kinda, it's been years anyway. Looking...
arkygirl
propane heat vs. electric heat
We live in South Dakotan and have heated our home with...
wildhares
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™