My Hens are Getting Ooooold

seamommy(7bTX)September 19, 2008

Three of my seven hens are now over 6 years old. Only one of the old girls still lays eggs. How long do chickens typically live? Cheryl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mersiepoo(6)

I think I remember reading that the oldest chicken on record was like 50 years old! Usually they can live to be at least 10 or 15 years old.

I'm making mine into chicken patties and soup.

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 10:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Chickens typically live anywhere from 6-15 years, depending on how well they are kept, accidents, disease, etc. Egg laying generally tapers off after 4-5 years and ends around age 6-8.

However, I have a 9 year old buff cochin hen who suddenly came BACK into lay this Spring after having ceased laying for about a year and a half. Just before summer we incubated some of her eggs and now have two of her babies running around. :) She has since stopped laying again, but who knows what Spring will bring! Maybe the shameless old fossil will lay again then... :)

My longest-lived chicken to date has been a Silver Laced Wyandotte hen who lived to the age of 10 (we got her as a three day old chick). I have several other chickens who have lived with us for nearly that long, but whom we got as adults, so their true age is unknown.

I love the old lady hens, they have a total 'dignified grand dame' attitude. :)

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 6:39PM
More Discussions
propane tank
Is it better to buy or rent a large propane tank--for...
kokosnood
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
suyoder
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™